TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Is it easy for me to pull a sample of fluid from my transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2002, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is it easy for me to pull a sample of fluid from my transmission?

Per my earlier post, I need confirmation to make sure my dealer doesn't try to cover up a mistake they made of putting the wrong fluid in my transmission. I'd like to get a small sample of the fluid out before I take the car in, like an ounce or so.

I haven't taken a look at what I would need to do. Is the drain and/or fill plug on the transmission easily accessible? What would I have to do to get a small sample of fluid out?
Old 06-28-2002, 02:37 PM
4kq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A small clear hose and a 17mm hex...

But why bother. It is expensive to test and there is no way for you to prove they did anything wrong. Just demand that they document the service on the Audi computer system, and your complain that they put the wrong fluid in. Then you have recourse if it goes.
Old 06-28-2002, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Well, maybe, but...

if I have a sample of the fluid that is currently in there, and compare it to what SHOULD be in there, wouldn't there be a noticeable difference (if they are in fact different)? Or are gear oil and transmission fluid essentailly the same color, odor, and viscosity?

And based on the warning label on the bottle of the fluid they indicated they put in there, it should never be used in transmissions, and therefore the dealer is at fault.
Old 06-28-2002, 03:29 PM

Default You could, it will be messy...

Don't know if you will see the difference side by side. You would need it if you went to court, but your documents that say they used the wrong thing should be good for now.

My advice is demand a new transmission. Your argument should also include that if you put that fluid in then drove into the dealership, they would absolutely deny the warranty on your transmission.

Don't budge on this. They screwed up royally!! They are going to give some bull**** that it's not that bad, blah blah blah... what are they? ****ing chemists? Engineers? Bull****, it says on the bottle don not ****ING use and their Audi trained monkey ****ed up. Plain and simple...now either they fix it or you will get a lawyer and get Seven On Your Side. Ask for their boss, then ask that person who their boss is...keep going to the regional Audi office

gggrrrr, I'm pissed and it's not even my car.
Old 06-28-2002, 03:34 PM
Elder Member

Default It is all based on the label. The oils could look similar

it is the additives, viscosity amongst other things. But the bottom line is their own bottle states not to use it in the tranny.

Ask for a meeting with the Area Rep for Audi and make certain you spend that $16 on a bottle just in case they are "out of stock" on the day you go in there. Then return the oil as it would have served its purpose.
Old 06-28-2002, 03:37 PM

Default You could get a quickie elemental analysis done for under $20 at Jiffy Lube or similar,

or if you have a FTIR at work just do the scans yourself. My Dad had a flywheel go bad when he visited me last. During warranty work (transmission replacement) dealer forgot to put in many of the bolts, that's why it went bad. Pontiac said - sorry sir the dealer who improperly installed your transmission is no longer selling Pontiacs, there is nothing we can do for you. So don't think just because you have some paper showing dealer screwed up that you will be protected from financial loss later when it fails.

P.S. My bet is dealer never changed oil in transmission.
Old 06-28-2002, 03:40 PM

Default How do you like the new job?

Ever get a chance to get some baseline data with that new MAF?

Go METS Go
Old 06-28-2002, 03:41 PM

Default I think your ps is...

a possibility, but better be safe then sorry.
Old 06-28-2002, 03:42 PM
Elder Member

no, no chance, job is going really well. thanks for asking.
Old 06-28-2002, 03:45 PM

Default Ever run at Mosport? It's a great track, I highly recommend.

SparTTan what track did you run?

Quick Reply: Is it easy for me to pull a sample of fluid from my transmission?