TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

effects of heat on a boost machine...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default effects of heat on a boost machine...

I have been running a boost machine for about 4 months or so now. Since I am running stock ecu programming, I am limited how far up I can go without hitting limp mode. When the weather/temperature changes more than 10 degrees I have to adjust the boost machine to keep optimal performance. I don't think the chipped cars are as affected by temp changes.

So my question is, is it the heat of the air passing through the lines to the boost machine that affect this or is it the underhood temps on the exterior to the boost machine that affect this?

I was at the track the other night, and I had been tuned perfectly before heading out there. After a couple hard laps I kept hitting limp mode. I backed off the boost machine when I came in, but apparenly not enough and kept hitting it again, though not as often. I have been contemplating moving the boost machine into the cabin of the car in a discrete location since before I installed it. would this possibly save my temperature variation by moving it out of the engine compartment?
Old 07-15-2005, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default chipped cars are effected the same way - it's your ecu optimized your turbo for the warmer

weather - Steve will be better able to explain but yes, chipped cars are equaly affected by temps

you seem to be running on the edge of limp and may want to back off a bit more for efficiencies sake!
Old 07-15-2005, 12:29 PM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default the entire engine bay is affected by engine heat. ever open up the hood after a hard

run or even coming back home? its hot as hell under there...in fact, you can't even touch some of the parts with burning yourself. I had the aluminum plug pop off from the hose (plugged from DV relocation) and tried to put it back on...it was so hot...practically burnt my fingers doing it. luckily, had a rag and some water...so i wet the rag and worked with the parts that way.

which goes back to why i removed my boost machine in the first place. heat affects the boost machine parts...closer to the turbo and you're looking at high temps. i got tired of constantly adjusting the BM from winter to summer and simply replaced it with a N75 K valve. so i'm boosting at 25-26psi, but don't have to adjust anything.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:29 PM

Default what PSI are you hitting with the BM?

I just installed a BM with my stock ECU too. Just wondering how far to push it.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:33 PM

from what I've read and compared with others, its not quite as extreme for chipped cars
Old 07-15-2005, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default The mechanical valves of the Boost Machine are affected by temperature. They are MUCH more....

sensitive to it that other parts of the car that are either "open" or "closed". The BM valves are getting adjusted to flow at certain ranges. As either the internal (air through the valve) or external (engine compartment temps) move, the valves will act differently due to thermal effects (expansion among others). Moving it to inside the car might help some, but the air flowing through the valves is hot too, so I don't think it will cure your issue 100%.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:41 PM

Default you'll want to bring it up very slowly...

giving the ecu time to adapt each time. limp mode will hit at anything over 19 psi roughly. with careful adjustment of onset and boost you can get it hitting just under 19 peak and holding at 17-18. The car is much quicker like this. since I backed it off I'm only holding 14-16 and notice a huge difference.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:43 PM

Default I'm hopen to just lessen it, originally I wanted to be able to fine tune from the cabin...

so it will serve 2 purposes.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:45 PM

Default ok thanks... I'm still tweaking it

I can hold at around 15-16 now but it doesn't spike much above that. Haven't toyed with the creep yet. What's your setting on that? I guess there's no real gauge for that. Just more of a feel?
Old 07-15-2005, 12:46 PM

Default yeah, its more feel...

but I've found it can take the peaks lower which allows you to pull a higher holding boost without going into limp mode.

Quick Reply: effects of heat on a boost machine...