TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Eiback pro-kit springs and dampers vs. Bilstein sport shocks and H&R sport springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2001, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eiback pro-kit springs and dampers vs. Bilstein sport shocks and H&R sport springs

I know this has been discussed but I am having trouble finding what I want via search.

Has anyone compared these two setups? The Bilstein-H&R combo is a little cheaper than the Eiback pro-kit setup. I have been reading so many great things about the Bilstein shocks here that I am leaning that way. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each setup? I only want to lower the car 1" or so, and these seem to be the kits to go with.

I know the Eibach springs and dampers are matched where the Bilsteins shocks and H&R springs are not. Will this really make a difference in ride-quality or how long the springs and shocks last?
Old 04-24-2001, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default H&R's lower more than eibach, eibach springs are matched for eibach shocks.

If you don't want to lower more than 1" go with the eibach setup. It is probably better because the spring rates are matched for the eibach shocks.

I already have the H&R springs, and like the lower look(1.3" front, 1.2" rear) and the tilt(front is slightly lower). I will be adding bilstein's to my car in May.
Old 04-24-2001, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Eibach shocks made by Sachs - no comparison to Bilstein IMO

While the Eibach setup may be matched - the Bilstein is a far superior shock. You can team it with the Eibach spring to keep lowering to a minimum. The Eibach Springs are also softer than the H&R sports. IMO - the Bilstein and H&R combo is pretty well matched.
Old 04-24-2001, 09:01 AM

Can someone explain the different choices? e.g. springs & shocks or just shocks or just springs. TIA
Old 04-24-2001, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Shocks and springs 101 :)

Basically - the goal with any suspension is to have spring rates that are evenly matched with the compression and rebound dampening characteristics of the shocks. Most stock shocks are underdampened with respect to their rebound characteristics - this is the floaty feeling that alot of people talk about. Most stock springs like the TT's are linear rate springs and they use the bump stops or supplemental springs to provide a "progressive feeling" at the top of the travel. Most if not all aftermarket springs (sport springs - not race springs) are progressive in nature, meaning they are softer in their inital travel but stiffen quickly as they move through their travel.

In the case of the TT - especially the MKII suspensions where they stiffened compression and softened rebound, they will benefit much more from a shock that has slightly softer compression, and stiffer rebound. Adding a stiffer spring to the stock shocks will only increase the floatiness of the suspension and result in the shock wearing out very quickly as it's dampening characteristics cannot match the spring rate of even the stock springs. Most of those people who have added just the Bilsteins to their existing springs will have improved handling due to the stiffer rebound dampening of the Bilsteins. However, without the progressive springs, the initial ride quality will be slightly firmer than if they were mated to progressive springs such as H&R Sports.

When you combine a shock like Bilstein Sport with a progressive spring like the H&R sport - the combination provides the best of both worlds. You are mating a progressive spring that has an increased spring rate with a shock that has compression and rebound dampening that can handle that spring rate. When people mention that even though the ride is firmer, but feels better than stock on small bumps etc. this is due to the progressive nature of the spring, plus the type of valving of the Bilstein which allows for a softer initial compression, but quite firm rebound characteristics. So it handles small bumps better than a linear spring and a shock with firm compression - but softer rebound dampening, like the stock TT's suspension.

So - if you don't want to lower the car - but want to improve handling - get better shocks. If you want to lower the car - get both shocks and springs. Both the H&R sports and Neuspeed sports are well matched with the Bilstein sport shocks. The Eibachs are also a decent spring - although their spring rates are less than those of the H&R's and Neuspeeds.
Old 04-24-2001, 09:24 AM

Default Eibachs are cleared for installation through the dealership and are on the R8>>

Eibach (ABT variant) are on the ABT TT limited sold in German dealers. Eibach's in the rear don't require suspension mods. They change the rear camber about half as much as H&R. The H&R's will eat the inside tread of your rear tires with enough time without rose joints or slotting the arms. Eibach dampers are made by Sachs, but they match the Bilsteins and Koni's and if you call them, they will recommend a set up with these makers shocks.
Old 04-24-2001, 09:44 AM

Default Are the Eibachs available in the US yet?

I thought I saw a post a while back of 4/30 expected availability.

Also wondering through which dealer?
Old 04-24-2001, 09:51 AM

Default 4/30 stands strong as Irvine has cleared North American import. I don't know if they will...

manufacture in Irvine or import the tried and true German kit that has been around for years.
Old 04-24-2001, 11:08 AM

Default I imported the German built kit per lack of patience, English speakers can utilize Eibach U.K. if...

you don't want to take the chance that the Eibach's U.S. will be built in Cali. If you need phone numbers let me know.
Old 04-24-2001, 11:09 AM

Thanks... good explanation!

Quick Reply: Eiback pro-kit springs and dampers vs. Bilstein sport shocks and H&R sport springs