TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

electical problems and key locked in car

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2002, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electical problems and key locked in car

Two items. First, I have door chimes, interior lights, door ajar reading on screen, windows lowered 1/4 inch or so. This happens intermittently. Dealer has it today.

2. Locked my keys (accidently of course) in car yesterday at a state park in the middle of nowhere! The locksmith AAA sent said "whoa" I've never been able to get in a VW or Audi! What happpened wss, I unlocked both doors and tailgate (it's a 2002 coupe). Accidently shut tailgate with keys inside and immediately both doors also locked. Finally the locksmith got into the car but the alarm was going nuts and the rear hatchb release wouldn't work because of the intrusion! Finally jammed my hand between the cargo cover and rear seat and was able to release the seatback (which cannot be done except from the rear). Lord help you if you lose your key somewhere out of town!
Old 06-03-2002, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Why did the doors lock?

That doesn't dound normal. It should be fairly hard to lock the keys in the car. Not impossible, of course...
Old 06-03-2002, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Doors will relock..............

If you unlock your doors with the remote you must open a door within like 1 minute or it will automatically reset. This is a safety feature in case you touch your unlock on the remote by mistake. Rear hatch can be opened while alarm is set with the remote. If you would have opened one of your doors after you unlocked with the remote you would have been fine. What you did could happen to anyone. Sorry to hear of your troubles.
Old 06-03-2002, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default One easy way...>>>

1) Unlock doors, open hatch.
2) Accidentally press the lock button on the fob (very hard to hear the locks click)
3) Leave key in trunk and close the hatch.
4) Alarm horn beeps.

Viola!

I've done this twice at home.

I have a little plastic key that can go in my wallet but I never bring it. Tempting fate, I know.
Old 06-03-2002, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I did that once. Here's what happened...

I stopped at a rest area to change from shorts to pants, which were in the trunk. I got out of the car, and instinctually locked the door with the fob. I opened the trunk with the fob, and took off my shoes, then shorts, set them in the trunk (you know where this is going), pulled out my pants and shut the trunk.

Car: "Honk." Me: "****."

My key was in the pocket of my shorts, which were now locked in the trunk, along with my shoes, wallet, and cell phone.

I walked over to the payphone to call Audi roadside, who wanted the VIN. Well I wasn't in visual distance so I had to run to the car, remember 5 or 6 numbers/letters, run back to the phone, and continue this until I gave him the entire VIN.

AAA came by an hour later, and the guy got in by wedging the glass window away from the seal, and using a long wire to open the door handle on the opposite side. Of course the motion detector was setting off the alarm, but he got in.

It was evening, and getting dark, and we have all heard stories about what goes on at rest stops. And believe me it does. Guys were going in and out of the woods for the hour I sat there in fear.

Haven't done it since.
Old 06-03-2002, 09:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Too complex - just open hatch with remote, put keys in hatch, close hatch. <Honk.> #$@%!