TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Engine flush?? BS???

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Engine flush?? BS???

OK so i just got a 2001 TTQ Audi Cert Pre-owned

and here are the 2 problems that i am having

1. engine sometimes would not start....is NOT at cold start.....kindda warm (ie if i drive the car then let it seit for about 1-2 hour)

2. idle rpm flutuation...it dun kill the engine but just a bit jumpy

my audi service advisor tells me that i need an 'engine flush' now as my understanding and experience fuel and cars nowadays run sooooo much cleaner compared to the old days that these so called 'build up' usually dun happen (esp when the car only got about 47k miles on it)

and also i have a 1996 mercedes C class with 185k miles on it (and counting) i have NEVER had a start or idle flutation....and i have NEVER heard my service adivor tells me that i need a $280 engine flush...and i have NEVER done one...the only thing i did was use fuel injection cleaner every 7k miles or so

so i am smelling some $$$ scamming BS....what do you all suggest?? or it is true that the vw/audi engine are big on 'engine flush' (<--according to the service advisor)

HELP!!! thanks
Old 03-19-2004, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it is certified preowned, isn't the dealer responsible for having the car run right?
Old 03-19-2004, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: If it is certified preowned, isn't the dealer responsible for having the car run right?

that's what i am saying i mean it got it for 3 weeks

but besides that what about the engine flushing??
Old 03-19-2004, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't know about the flush, but I'd make a case where the dealer should be responsible for it.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine oil flush? Don't do it!

Not on a turbo car.. you'll end up leaving cleaner in the turbo lines and bearings.

I was going to do it.. my mechanic told me absolutely not on a turbo car.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Those symptoms point vaguely in the direction of leaky injectors>>

Which might or might not be resolved by removing and "flushing" the injectors themselves.

The term "Engine Flush" is babble in this scenario.

At any rate this should not cost you anything on a "certified" car.

Dan
Old 03-19-2004, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Engine flush? What exactly are they going to do, BTW a leaking fuel injector can cause your prob.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I should have read yours 1st- I agree
Old 03-19-2004, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2004, 12:22 PM

Default Certified pre-owned s/b fixed by dealer.

Since your car is certified pre-owned and has less than 50,000 miles, it would seem that the cost of making the car start and idle correctly is a warranty item and the dealer should do the fix under warranty and at no cost.

I have never heard that the 1.8T engine is a candidate for engine flush.

If it were a cold start problem, then I would fault the cold start valve. My 911 used to have a restart problem if it was hot weather and the car was hot at the restart. That was a vapor lock problem in the CIS, not likely related to your TT, so maybe it is intermittent coil pack problem. Coil pack not fully failed but occasionally malfunctions? The fluctuating idle could be O2 sensor problem.

Service advisors are not necessarily good diagnosticians of auto problems. You need to speak to the Chief Audi Mechanic. I am fortunate that at my dealer the Chief Mechanic knows who I am and if I ask him about something he tells the service advisor what to write on the service order. Developing relationships in the service department is very helpful to TT ownership and getting things done right under warranty, IMO.

I recommend that you ask the dealer to have the AoA Regional Representative for Service and service problems call you or meet you at the dealership to help resolve the issues.

Quick Reply: Engine flush?? BS???