TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Engine Oil Overfill Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2000, 02:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Oil Overfill Problem

Yesterday evening, I went to the dealer to have some oil topped off in my 180 TTR fwd. The service advisor checked the level of the dipstick and found that it needed about 1/2 quart of 10W-40 Castrol conventional oil. I drove home happy thinking it was "ALL GOOD". The next morning, I checked the dipstick again and found the oil to be over the max hash mark line by about 2-3 centimeters. Clearly, it was way above the max line for sure. Now, my first question is, is it normal to have bubbles in the oil after driving the car for about 10 minutes? I checked the dipstick and found bubbles in the oil. Is this normal? I called the service manager and asked him if it was ok and he told me that all cars form bubbles in oil. I think he was mistaking me as a fool. I want to know from you guys if this is normal. Also, should I drive it down to the dealership or have it towed? It's about 8 miles from my house. They are going to do my first service at 4,000 miles. Would this be a good thing to do this early? Also, what should I ask them to check when I do take it in for service tomorrow?

I greatly appreciate everyone's help. Thanks guys. You guys are great help!!!

GeTTin
Old 12-21-2000, 02:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You know, you should check the oil at least 5-10 min.of ........

waiting (after driving) to let the oil settle down.
I wonder if the dealer checked it immediately and saw the level is right, because oil was still deep in the engine.But next morning after enough ( sure) settling down of oil you saw it is up the mark again. May it be like this ?

Also no idea about bubbles . But I have never seen bubbles before. Yesterday, some friends have wrote that overfilling may cause bubbles in oil as far as I remember.
Old 12-21-2000, 02:59 AM

Default Re: You know, you should check the oil at least 5-10 min.of ........

Yeah, if it is significantly overfilled, it could get whipped up by the crankshaft, which may cause bubbling. like you, I've never seen bubbled oil either. Seems odd! But then, I always use synthetic also, so maybe dino oil bubbles more easily. Regardless 2-3 centimeters on the dipstick is quite a bit if the oil had settled into the pan, and even seems high to me if the engine had jsut been turned off when he checked. Why can't the dealers get this right?
Old 12-21-2000, 03:10 AM

Yes this is exactly how it was. He did not wait till he added the oil. He should have waited. I checked in the morning before starting the car and found the oil to be above the max hash level.
Old 12-21-2000, 03:12 AM

Actually, when the dealers checked the oil level after I brought it to the dealership, it was about mid-level hash mark. He told me that it needs about 1/2 quart and then added. Do you think adding half a quart will make the oil rise 2-3 centimeters?
Old 12-21-2000, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If I were you, I would do what Jeff wrote yesterday. And also....

if you don't prefer to suck out the excess oil why don't you take TT to the dealer and prove this to him. And sure it will be easy to drain oil at the service. Hey, I understand that it is a very stupid and annoying problem.I hope you solve it in a short time. BesTT.
Old 12-21-2000, 04:08 AM

Definitely do not go back to that dealer.
Old 12-21-2000, 05:17 AM

Please tell us which dealer "doesn't even know the basics."
Old 12-21-2000, 05:28 AM
Elder Member

Default Did either of you check the oil with the engine on?

Go back to the dealer an sit in the parking lot for 10 minutes before going inside. Then check the oil yourself to confirm you are not nuts. Then go inside and have the Service Manager come out with you.

That is the only way to prove your case and not look foolish in the process.
Old 12-21-2000, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Do you have 'foam' or just a few bubbles? When you over fill, the sump level can rise to the point

..where the rotating crank shaft contacts the oil and acks like a whisk, beating air into the oil, air is a very poor lubricant. I would drain the excess, I don't think you will do any real harm as long as you make it right and not drive too much with an over fill condition.

Quick Reply: Engine Oil Overfill Problem