TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Euro mirror install... a word of caution so you don't do what I did...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2000, 11:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Euro mirror install... a word of caution so you don't do what I did...

when prying off the old mirror, be very careful not to let the prying tool push too far back into the motors (which are right behind the center of the mirror) or else you could break one of the small rack gears in the assembly. This happened to me, and it means replacing one motor ($91 US from the dealer.)

Crap.
Old 10-17-2000, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for the tip. Others who might need help installing, check

out the post by Wennch on 2000-09-19 10:46:20. Her hubby gave some good instructions on how to accomplish the switch, I printed and saved, but for those of you who didn't here tis:

"With a blanket over the opened door (window down) using the mirror control, manuever the mirror to point to the maximum skyward position. Using a duct tape wrapped putty knife (to soften the putty knife) insert the putty knife into the resulting slot below the mirror and lightly pry the mirror out of its housing. At no time do you want hard metal to contact the glass, and you do want a wide area of contact on the glass to leverage the putty knife. A bright light to see just exactly where you need to pry might help. Also, its best to do this only when you have the new mirror in your hand so you can see exactly how the snap-in holder arrangement works and see where its located (there are four snaps). Pop the snaps out one at a time. Remove the electrical defrost connections. To install the new one. Reconnect the electric defrost connections. Put some wax, light grease or oil onto the snaps to help the snaps engage without breaking. Position the mirror in place using the light and using gentle steady ever increasing pressure of your thumb over each of the four snaps, or perhaps the heel of your hand (wide bearing area), snap the mirror into place.

If the mirror breaks, you didn't do it right. Good luck."
Old 10-17-2000, 11:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default yep, I followed this too, but...

putty knife end pushed back into motors. On the next try, I'm going to insert the knife to the left and right of the snaps, rather then under the middle of the mirror where the motor assemblies are. That way I avoid the mechanical stuff, and pop the snaps one side at a time.
Old 10-17-2000, 11:54 AM

Default These have been added to BZ's FAQ too!

<ul><li><a href="http://www.auditt.org/faq/971131781">How to Install the Split Side Mirrors</a></li></ul>
Old 10-17-2000, 11:55 AM

Bad break on the motors. Good luck on the other side.
Old 10-17-2000, 12:09 PM
Eighth Member of AudiWorld. God-like, glorious and all-knowing.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default You can add my installation technique to the FAQ too...

It would be my first contribution!

I showed up at the dealership's service dept unannounced and asked if someone had a minute to show me how to install them. They did it for me for free, and it really did only take them about a minute. If I hadn't done it this way, they might have charged me.
Old 10-17-2000, 12:36 PM
Elder Member

Default Mine did the same. He pulled some special Audi tool off the wall 'o tools and used it

to pry the mirror off. I kid you not, this tool is for removing mirrors easily.

Good dealer's rule.
Old 10-17-2000, 02:00 PM

Default Re: Euro mirror install..I put these on my S4 a couple of weeks ago..no tools, only fingers (m).

I turned the mirrors to full inward position, put my fingers behind the glass, next to the "ball"& pushed out...mirror popped right off...changed defog wires & pressed new mirrors on with palm of hand on center of "ball"..10 min for both.
Old 10-17-2000, 02:11 PM
Former Vendor

Default I put together an instruction sheet...anyone want to review it?

I can send it to you e-mail. If everyone had the Audi tool I guess it would be easier. -Pete<ul><li><a href="http://www.stratmosphere.com/tt_blindspot_mirrors.htm">TT Blindspot Mirrors</a></li></ul>
Old 10-17-2000, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default pete -- just ordered the mirror from you today, please send instruction sheet along...

e-mail would be fine.
thanks

Quick Reply: Euro mirror install... a word of caution so you don't do what I did...