TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Is the fan control module the same as the fan rely?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the fan control module the same as the fan rely?

I have a 2000 tt. Fans run after ignition is off until battery is dead.

I pulled the connection from the temperature switch on the radiator and the fans keep running.

I can't find any information on the location of the fan relay so I was wondering if the fan relay is the fan control module that is located under the battery.

Thanks in advance.

Marc
Old 09-11-2010, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I need further help.

I replaced the fan control module. Drove car and it the temp gauge went way beyond the mid point once warmed up. I opened the hood and neither fan was working.

Every fuse on the panel was checked as were the 3 fuses in the box above the battery.

I then replaced the fan switch on the radiator, ran the car until the temp gauge once again went well past the mid point and still no fans.

I then opened up the old fan control module to inspect the relays and found a badly burned set of relay points. Cleaned the points and re-installed the module without the cover so I could manually work the points. When I closed the set of burned points both fans operated at the higher speed.

I need to understand what is missing in the circuit that provides power to the fan control module other than the fan switch on the radiator. Something is keeping the fan circuit in the module from getting power.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by marc a
I need further help.

I replaced the fan control module. Drove car and it the temp gauge went way beyond the mid point once warmed up. I opened the hood and neither fan was working.

Every fuse on the panel was checked as were the 3 fuses in the box above the battery.

I then replaced the fan switch on the radiator, ran the car until the temp gauge once again went well past the mid point and still no fans.

I then opened up the old fan control module to inspect the relays and found a badly burned set of relay points. Cleaned the points and re-installed the module without the cover so I could manually work the points. When I closed the set of burned points both fans operated at the higher speed.

I need to understand what is missing in the circuit that provides power to the fan control module other than the fan switch on the radiator. Something is keeping the fan circuit in the module from getting power.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
There's are several fuses in the block that sits on top of the battery, they tend to get corroded. I forget which one but check all connections as one of them is power for the fans.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks, but the fans work when I short the old control module so the fuse is ok.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Can anyone help out here?? Maybe some has a wiring diagram of the fan circuit??