TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

firming the shocks didnt help...having alot of steering 'nervousness' still...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default firming the shocks didnt help...having alot of steering 'nervousness' still...

i've had plenty of alignments over the past year or so...since getting the new suspension installed.....BUT every time the alignment falls out of spec, it easily goes back into spec and feels good after getting the alignment done...

a few weeks ago, i had a new subframe installed, after damages done to it...and a panzer plate. since then, i can't get the car to feel good while steering. Tyrolsport have now done the alignment, and have since re-checked everything to see if there's any other problem and have found nothing.

Basically the car feels very nervous at the wheel....after hitting bumps in the road, i feel a 'shifting' from the rear of the car....it's almost like a lateral movement (slight), and the steering feels more disconnected......i've felt this feeling before, when the car is not aligned....but at this time, the car IS aligned.....and i can't figure out the source of it, and neither can the guys at the shop.

The bearings are fine, the control arms are fine....the bushings are fine....the alignment is done....so what else could be causing this? any ideas?
Old 03-14-2009, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How are your tires?
Old 03-14-2009, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

balanced. front are fairly new...rear older, but ok.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default you've added weight in the front with the panzer plate >

that might have something to do with the way the rear feels. Do you have oem swaybars, or have they been upgraded? Did Tyrolsport (I can't help thinking "Blade Runnner" every time I hear that name) check out/replace the endlinks after the subframe slam? what about the control arm bushings - did they get done and/or how old are they? How low is the car - that often induces a bump-steer.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got the alignment numbers?? You know the thing about "assume".....:-)
Old 03-14-2009, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default some answers...

the panzer plate isn't that heavy. only 20 pounds. not significant enough to actually cause THIS much of a change y'know?

i have a 19mm rear neuspeed sway, and that's about it. they DID check all of the bushings, and links for the subframe, control arms, etc...and all is well there.

the car does sit very low, however even when there are NO bumps, there is still a nervousness at the wheels....and upon hitting a bump, it just gets a bit more nervous. it's not out of the question that maybe there could be 'bump steer'....however that probably only happens on severe bumps, or at speed....i haven't really felt that. what i do feel is nervousness at ALL speeds, on even and bumpy settings....and when it rains or snows, the car is very difficult to control...steeringwise.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

i emailed em....trying to get the numbers.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

"More human than human".
Old 03-14-2009, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the wear...on all of them.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default the neuspeed springs i have drop the car 1.25 inches.

i also have a full kmac kit for the rear camber.

Quick Reply: firming the shocks didnt help...having alot of steering 'nervousness' still...