TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

First Week of Owning, Driving the TTQ - My Critique

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-1999, 09:31 AM
Larry W Jordan Jr

Default First Week of Owning, Driving the TTQ - My Critique

I waited 7 months to get this car and I am very pleased. The ratio is excellent considering that car only cost 40k. I passed up the FWD version back in June so I could get the Quattro. I am still pleased with that decision as I have yet to force the thing loose on some amazing turns. It goes where I point it and that is impressive as the car is very responsive. I do have to agree with the comments made by Brad Willis in his comparison of the FWD to the Quattro with a few of my comments added.

Quattro CONS
---------------------
1) Slower responsiveness than the FWD below the power range. This could just be a perception, but I felt like the FWD responded faster when I nailed the pedal at the 2600-3500 range.

2) 1st to 2nd gearing. The 1st gear is almost useless. It spins up so fast and disproportionate to the other gearing, you really need to pay attention.

Quattro PROS
---------------------
1) Amazing cornering. We have a hill by where I live that is notorious in the rain (and dry) and cars will get stuck trying to get up it. This happened the other day when 2 cars were spinning there wheels struggling up, I zipped past them on the left (dangerous ) and zoomed up the hill with not a slip. I have also had the car out at the track and it has been amazing. Overall, the TTQ has the best Audi Quattro experience I have ever had, including the A4 which I thought was tops!

2) No Torque steer. Smooth and totally responsive.

The bottom line is I want to see what the TTQ-225 does for the package. It may represent the sweet spot for this car. Looks like I am going to be adding the chip and exhaust in order to get mine where I want it.

Old 09-11-1999, 09:53 AM
Neil Herring

Default Re: First Week of Owning, Driving the TTQ - My Critique Additional Comments

I've got to agree with everything you've said although after a couple more weeks, I think I'm getting used to the 1st gear and it doesn't seem so strange. Where you gonna buy the chip?
Old 09-11-1999, 04:12 PM
Larry W Jordan Jr

Default Re: First Week of Owning, Driving the TTQ - My Critique Additional Comments

I was thinking of going to Audi Total Performance

http://www.tap1.com/

I have been sending mail around trying to determine the best one to do business with. Since they were one of the first to build out a TT and they have the exhaust system, they are at the top of my list.
Old 09-11-1999, 07:12 PM
ron n

Default Re: First Week of Owning, Driving the TTQ - My Critique

I have had my TTQ for about a month and can echo the comments on cornering. I had not driven a FWD so cannot compare but this car is rock solid even at 120 mph. So far, this is a perfect car! I have gotten used to the 1st gear. Drove a friends new 911 and I liked mine better especially at 1/2 the cost. In fact, my friend could only say WOW when he was putting my car though some turns.
Old 09-12-1999, 03:27 PM
Joe

Default interesting

I was concerned with how quickly the TTQ would wind out of first. The FWD TT's I test drove needed an upshift very quickly as it is. (My present car can hit 40 if you gun it to the redline, and I'm used to that around town). I do a lot of driving in traffic, and that'd probably drive me nuts.

Anyone know of any magazine road tests of a TTQ?
Old 09-12-1999, 04:49 PM
m. koenig

Default Re: First Geer

yup, it winds out rather quickly. i think that is my only complaint.

summation? this car totally rocks!! (ttq180)

side question: when shutting off the car, does anyone here a strange noise, kind of a like a wierd humming noise that tapers off after about 5 seconds?
really strange, sounds like it might be the AC or something. just curious...
Old 09-12-1999, 08:38 PM
Larry W Jordan Jr

Default Re: interesting

I am getting used to it, but in stop and go city driving (like I did tonight to go the basketball game in hilly Seattle), it is something you have to pay attention to. In fact on a long hill, I had to go to second as it was not much of an option over 20mph or so.

I have seen compliants from others on the 1st-2nd gearing and I am adapting, but it is a unique feature of this car :-)