TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Fixed spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-1999, 06:35 AM
marty

Default Fixed spoiler

Brad, What does the exclamation point after your post on the fixed spoiler mean? To me it means we screwed up and did not listen to the engineers who said that a spoiler was necessary to decrease aft lift. It also means we could have placed a retractable spoiler on the car before production which would not have disturbed the appearance or the car and solved the aft lift problem BUT WE DIDN`T. Why they did not place a retractable spoiler is anyone's guess?? Now they are unwilling to `fix their fix` even though there is an uproar in the Audi forum. Their response is TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT!!!!! This is not the way to develop a strong and healthy Audi following.
Old 11-04-1999, 07:03 AM
MaTT

Default Re: Fixed spoiler

You are right....Audi definetely needs some help with its Public Relations. The introduction of the TT firmly established Audi's come-back...and now this. There is no doubt that sales of the TT will decrease because of the spoiler, and the image of the company will be tarnished by Audi's cheap fix to this problem.
Old 11-04-1999, 07:29 AM
andy

Surely, you are joking? (nt)
Old 11-04-1999, 08:00 AM
Frank

Default Re: Surely, you are joking? (nt)

This is the most ridiculous amount of bitching... Think about what a retractable spoiler would entail as far as body mods, electrical, hydraulics would go. Audi is not or never was obigated to putting in a Porsche style retractable spoiler. If you don't like the look, don't put it on and stay under 100 MPH. Pretty easy choice if you ask me.
Old 11-04-1999, 08:03 AM
B. Bordello

When you buy a gas grill, you don't get to suggest new design ideas for the lid or the handle... Audi is a company. They have financial responsibilities as well as responsibilities to their customers. They have provided us with a beautiful car, and then they changed it to make it more safe. Customer relations is not really a problem, IMO. They have solved the customers problems. Now the customers complain about appearance... fix one problem, they'll bitch about another. If you want to complain about ugly cars, complain about something that is truly ugly. Audi fixed a problem. Let's all just quit bitching about the fix... after all, it's free, and a super-fancy gadget spoiler would not be free. If that's what you want, the build one for your own car.
Old 11-04-1999, 08:07 AM
DarkStar

AGREED! (nt)
Old 11-04-1999, 08:11 AM
jacqth

yep, I agree - Happy Friday everyone (nt)
Old 11-04-1999, 08:18 AM
andy

Default Re: Surely, you are joking? (nt)

surely you are joking was questioning that demand will go down as a result of tastless spoiler like there will be some direct correlation. I mean does anyone hear of a reduction in wait? I hear that Audi are increasing production. The other question referred to teaching Audi about PR. Like they don't know. Audi knows it's pr ok. It just doesn't want to spend a cent more than it has to.

Retractable spoiler is no more than a good idea. Not audis its seems.
Old 11-04-1999, 08:26 AM
RJG

After reviewing all the past articles and promo info on the TT, I've been unable to find a reference to the "scientists" wanting to add the spoiler as a fix for a stability issue. All references are to aerodynamics and getting the coefficient of frintion down to an acceptable level. The aerodynamics impact acceleration, top speed and poor aerodynamics also effect fuel economy. The origional spoiler was to address these issues not stability. I think it's a case of Audi having to do "something" to stop the panic from spreading (too late). Now they've created a new issue, one of image (theirs and the TT's). I wish they would take a few minutes to step back and look and where this is all leading.

The so called stability issues have distracted everyone from the more troubling quality issues, such as Brad's transmission, climate system noise, etc. These are more troublesome to the everyday average owner but have been overshadowed by the "bigger" recall story.

I for one, am still waiting for my TT to arrive, and none of these issues will change my buying decision.
Old 11-04-1999, 08:30 AM
Brad Willis

If we are talking about the same post, I had shared an e-mail that I received from one of our friends in Germany. "The spoiler will be fixed!" was his comment. I took that to mean that Audi was going to work on a different spoiler option that its customers would find more satisfactory.

However, I think that Cliff Melick was correct when he said that the comment likely meant that the spoiler would be fixed as in stationary, as opposed to being retractable.

Even though I'm not thrilled with the looks of the spoiler, I'm much more concerned with issues relating to the long-term reliability of this car. Obviously, I'm having a lot of problems and I'm at about 13,000 miles. Maybe I'm just having bad luck with my TT. Maybe not.

Quick Reply: Fixed spoiler