TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Flashing BRAKE light only when I start driving

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2021, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flashing BRAKE light only when I start driving

Hey all, issue is my parking brake light makes a single chime and begins flashing only after I start driving. I've ruled out the handbrake switch because the light works as intended before I start driving. I've also checked my brake fluid level and level sensor. I've also rolled down a hill from start without ever putting it in gear and the brake light never chimes or starts flashing (using pedal brakes as well). The most odd part of this is that, if I drive for awhile and then stop, shut off the car, restart and drive the light will stay off for my entire drive (only tested this method for about a 5 minute drive). Just now starting to diagnose so I may have more test cases ... this sounds like a possible brake pad sensor but front pads are < 5k miles and rear pads have a decent amount of life left. This is a 180hp 2000 no esp but has a 00.5 atc engine ... so I have one hell of a time finding posts related to it. Anyone know what wheels have a brake pad sensor attached?

Further update: no brake pad wear sensors in sight, ever since testing and starting the car the light has disappeared. This happens occasionally but the light will be back. Definitely want to find a solution as apparently when your brake light is on your haldex will not engage but i havent tested this.

Last edited by Spencer May; 09-15-2021 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-16-2023, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Spencer May
Hey all, issue is my parking brake light makes a single chime and begins flashing only after I start driving. I've ruled out the handbrake switch because the light works as intended before I start driving. I've also checked my brake fluid level and level sensor. I've also rolled down a hill from start without ever putting it in gear and the brake light never chimes or starts flashing (using pedal brakes as well). The most odd part of this is that, if I drive for awhile and then stop, shut off the car, restart and drive the light will stay off for my entire drive (only tested this method for about a 5 minute drive). Just now starting to diagnose so I may have more test cases ... this sounds like a possible brake pad sensor but front pads are < 5k miles and rear pads have a decent amount of life left. This is a 180hp 2000 no esp but has a 00.5 atc engine ... so I have one hell of a time finding posts related to it. Anyone know what wheels have a brake pad sensor attached?

Further update: no brake pad wear sensors in sight, ever since testing and starting the car the light has disappeared. This happens occasionally but the light will be back. Definitely want to find a solution as apparently when your brake light is on your haldex will not engage but i havent tested this.

Ever figure it out ? I’m having the exact same issue.
Old 12-16-2023, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 65x47Lapua
Ever figure it out ? I’m having the exact same issue.
Yeah, it was a few bad wheel speed sensors. When more than one has a problem you lose awd and the brake light starts flashing
Old 12-16-2023, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

The garage that did the oil change … didn’t put the cap back on lol. That was my issue.