TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Follow-up post re: Time to sell the TT?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2001, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Follow-up post re: Time to sell the TT?

I expected controversy...hey, that's what the forum is all about...voice your opinion.

My TT is fast -- as long as the a/c is NOT on
(Ambient outside temp is in high 90s for several months of year more than one mile above sea level...I don't live on Long Island or Nantucket or Bar Harbour or San Deigo, folks)The turbo kicks in after 90% of the traffic passes me by (including city busses!)

My TT is cherry -- don't think I've ever kept a car so clean and shiny in all my life. But is that all there is?..cleaning it...it needs to be driven. Seems like everyone is obsessed with cleaning theirs.

My TT is like yours -- admit it, it squeaks, rattles, and make noises that can drive one up the wall (dependent upon mood, listening techniques, etc.) Denial is a sign of sickness.

My TT is a VW (according to Hottub, perhaps he thinks that way)? My TT is a VW parent company hybrid...is a Porsche a VW? Have another drink!

Unlike MANY of you -- my TT is stock. If I wanted a race car, I would have bought a US muscle car and modded it to death cheaper than the cost of the stock TT.

Now, how's that for controversies?!

Actually, until something better DOES come along, there ain't much better out there that I am willing to consider. The Grey Ghost stays...attitude adjustment tells me to give up Manhattans and go back to Cabernet Sauvignon.

This posting and the earlier one are not meant to cause anger...just a way to exercise one's forum rights of being opinionated...
Old 06-20-2001, 06:24 PM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No denial, I do not have squeaks and rattles....this is deja vu all over again!!
Old 06-20-2001, 06:46 PM

Default I have a few squeaks, but they aren't too bad. I'm in the process of

of finding a better solution than greasing the parts just to have the grease wear off quickly.
Old 06-20-2001, 06:55 PM

Personally, I miss your coupe! ;-) No sqeaks and rattles, but do have bad bushings probably.
Old 06-20-2001, 06:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I started thinking that I could coward out and ......

erase what I wrote below and it would not be read by whole buncha people, but I prefer to not use that delete function if possible. I respect the fact that you want opinions and chat about TT's good or bad. I will keep my opinions less opinionated though I think
Old 06-20-2001, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Cars squeak, what's the big deal... as to mods...

I am really enjoying slowly modifying my TTQC so that it drives the way I want to drive and responds the way I want it to respond... An advantage that I have is that I really do plan on keeping this car for 10 years or so... so I have a lot of time to make subtle changes.. Perhaps another advantage is that I live in a place with great turbo weather..?? Funny that privacy shelf didn't rattle for 18 months, then I installed the Bilsteins, now it rattles... wonder if it is no longer a warranty fix? 21 months later, it is still the neatest car I have ever owned and that covers a few good cars. GRIN
Old 06-20-2001, 10:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm going to sell my TT, too.....

too many people keep telling me what a great looking car it is. And I have far too much fun with it. Life should be serious!

:-)
Old 06-21-2001, 03:32 AM

Default Have you checked your TT's performance against another? As you describe your performance, it does

not sound normal to me. I certainly am not at attitude, but Central Florida days are in the 90's with incredibly high humidity - certainly not turbo friendly. I traded in a 13.1 quarter mile performer to buy the TT, and I am not disappointed in the least with the performance - especially mid and upper range.

I think if there is one thing I could be guaranteed of NOT having in any car it would be rattles - they drive me nuts. I have a couple of minor ones that I notice when I first start my drive to work, but they seem to disappear once on the interstate. I have had a few rag tops in my day, and I have yet to see one that had absolutely no rattles. My last one, a Trans Am convertible certainly outrattled my TT.

I was a bit surprised when you got your head bit off in another thread for simply expressing your frustration. It is a shame that some are willing to bend over to Audi (er... VW - didn't know I paid 42Kbucks for a VW), and ask for it to be shoved in deeper - things will never be improved by the manufacturer with that attitude.

Having said that, after a 2 1/2 months of ownership, I am very pleased with the car. My only problems to date are the sticky fuel and temp gauges which come to life with a flick of the hand or the first bump in the road, one of which always happens prior to a few minutes of driving.

In conclusion, if the car does make you the least bit unhappy, get something else - life is too friggin' short!
Old 06-21-2001, 04:21 AM

Default maybe you just don't drive it hard enough, it is a 4cyl ya know.

And every 4 is going to be worked a little extra when the A/C is on. I live in Atlanta, the humidity capitol of the world, and run my A/C quite a bit. Never had any power problems with it on, I just know I have to gas it a little more in that situation, like any other 4.
Old 06-21-2001, 04:26 AM

Default is there anyone else out here who would have bought the TT even if it performed like a focus ...

... just because it looks so damn cool ? the fact that it handles and performs as well as it does is just icing on the cake.

every time i read a post that someone is disappointed with the TT's performance, i wonder what drove them to purchase it !

Quick Reply: Follow-up post re: Time to sell the TT?