TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Forge DV - after 14000Km review.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2000, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forge DV - after 14000Km review.

I have seen some of you has discovered the UK Forged DV and I would like to post some of my comments on mine after about 14000KM usage.

The valve is not releasing properly. I get hiccups from light lift off of gas and major chocking in low boost ranges. I suspect is the valve is not releasing during low boost but in high boost it is working just fine. It is very quiet and i have no compliants til now. I wonder if the spring inside is getting too strong ? It seems now it requires more vacumn to open the valve for releasing.

Anyway, I really want to try the HKS Sequencial Blow off valve - which is not a recirc valve. And yes i have heard a lot of negative things about installing one of those with air mass metered engine. I still want to try it out and see what is it like and experience the differences of the claimed "sequencial" - meaning the valve opens less during low boost when there is less pressures to be released and opens more during high boost when more pressures need to be released. And also these japanese blow off valves are all adjustable, unlike forged or bailey's closed system. with that, i think i should not have any more hiccups or problems during various boost range.

Eric
Old 10-12-2000, 12:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default to me that it sounds more like a vacuum hose leak, have you checked that?

I don't think it's possible for a spring to get stronger through wear and tear. I would want to be sure that everything else was working before I went out and bought yet another DV.

of course if your thinking of starting your own personal DV collection like SCTT, then I can understand!! =

j/k SCTT
Old 10-12-2000, 05:11 AM
Former Vendor

Default I've just talked to Forge about this...

and they have no reports of this type of anomaly. Open it up and make sure the piston looks OK.

As you already know, the valve is completely serviceable so that you can get it working perfectly if in fact there is a problem inside. I hope this helped. Let us know what the problem turns out to be. -Pete<ul><li><a href="http://www.stratmosphere.com/forge_valves.htm">Stratmosphere Forge Diverter/Dump Valves for the TT</a></li></ul>
Old 10-12-2000, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It is not a spring issue, but more of a piston issue.

A part that is termed "rebuildable" is meant to be just that: it is meant to be rebuilt. Due to the fact that is built to lower tolerances the internals are subject to early deterioration and less consistency during service life.

The piston in TTinHongKong's DV is binding and causing spikes. It would have nothing to do with the spring. This was one of the reasons why were steered away from the Forge valve to begin with.

Please call me or e-mail me with any questions or concerns..
Old 10-12-2000, 05:54 AM

Default A few questions about the Forge Valve!

1) you are selling the valve for $125, how much is the rebuild kit?
2)should i do the rebuild or should my dealer?
3)do you have rebuild kits in stock if so how many times does the valve need to be rebuilt?
4) if a problem arises from an improperly rebuilt valve who is responsible? Forge? you? or me?
5)what boost pressures have the valves been tested to?
6) were the valves specifically designed for the bosch motronic(ala bailey) or for some obscure japanese cars ie impreza/evo etc?
Old 10-12-2000, 06:57 AM
Former Vendor

Default To address those questions...

The first 4 are not an issue. The valve is guaranteed for life. No charge.

5) We have tested the valve to be compatible with the TT.

6) Could you clarify what you mean regarding what you think in the design would be bosch motronic specific? -Pete<ul><li><a href="http://www.stratmosphere.com/forge_valves.htm">Stratmosphere Forge Diverter/Dump Valves for the TT</a></li></ul>
Old 10-12-2000, 07:02 AM
Former Vendor

Default No problem! Forge Lifetime Guarantee!

We will replace any valve at any time. No charge. Forever. According to Forge the tolerance issues you bring up are simply not true. Of course that's Forge's opinion versus Bailey's.

I frankly think they are both great options for the TT. We like the Bailey but we were searching for a different solution to offer. -Pete<ul><li><a href="http://www.stratmosphere.com/forge_valves.htm">Stratmosphere Forge Diverter/Dump Valves for the TT</a></li></ul>
Old 10-12-2000, 07:17 AM

Default more questions!

how are the first 4 questions not an issue? you are advertising the valve as a cost effective replacement to the bailey valve. so are you saying that stratmosphere will give all forge valve owners free rebuild kits when ever needed?if not how much are the rebuild kits and how often do they need to be rebuilt?

by is it bosch motronic specific i mean do the spring pressures(opening and closing) match or exceed those of the stock valve(ala bailey) or was the valve designed to emulate the valves on japanese cars with "nippodenso" engine management?

did you do VAG testing of the mass air meter versus the stock valves to check for bleed of etc at low vaccuum/low boost loads? (data block 2)

by your previous post i take it if a valve is improperly rebuilt that Forge will be held accountable for any engine damage-if i remember correctly colonel bogey had a similar(not forge valve but rebuildable nonetheless) come apart in his car and took out his turbocharger!
Old 10-12-2000, 07:54 AM
Former Vendor

Default Let me try to help on this...

We will take a valve back (or just send another in anticipation of a return). They will be factory reconditioned if not altogether new. Peter at Forge is very serious about providing a quality product and service.

VAG testing. We own a 1552 here and have done extensive real-world on-road testing with the tool in a monitoring state.

As far as spring rates Forge (as probably Bailey does) has a wide variety of springs to choose from. What has been choosen specifically targets the OEM (and Bailey) rates.

Hope this helps out. -Pete
Old 10-12-2000, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Sounds like last night's debate ;-)

Quick Reply: Forge DV - after 14000Km review.