TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Forge DV did not make honking sound go away

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2001, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forge DV did not make honking sound go away

I just installed a Forge DV - no problems. I decided to do this because I consistantly get a honking sound when I let up the throttle around 2900 RPM, especially when driving reasonably hard uphill. I was hoping this was the typical OEM DV problem, but the sound is still there with the Forge valve. Any sugestions?

By the way, the Forge valve does indeed seem to give me more power as I shift gears - shifts seem smoother, and I once again think I know how to use a clutch... Why doesn't Audi just install the Forge valve in the first place?
Old 06-19-2001, 10:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: "Why doesn't Audi just install the Forge valve in the first place?"

because they would rather replace thousands of $2 plastic valves repeatedly instead. :-(

Not sure what your noise might be, other then exhaust resonance.
Old 06-19-2001, 11:10 AM

Can you describe the noise in more depth and exactly when it happens??
Old 06-19-2001, 11:21 AM

Default details of noise

The sound I hear occurs as I let up on the throttle somewhere between 2800 and 3000 RPM - either to shift gears or just to slow down for a corner. It only occurs when I completely and quickly let up on the throttle, and only does it consistantly when I'm driving up a longish hill. (for those of you who live in the SF Bay Area, I drive up the curvy highway 84 every day - about 3 winding miles of uphill.)

The sound I hear has a metalic sound, like some sort of metal damper that vibrates for about a second, coming from somewhere forward of me. Could be in the exaust, could be in the intake somewhere. I don't think it's the transmission, partly because it occurs with or without clutching, and partly because it just doesn't sound like a clutch or transmission noise to me. It sounds to me like something related to the turbocharger, which is why I really hoped it would be the DV.
Old 06-19-2001, 11:26 AM

Default I had the same noise...

sounded like it was coming from the drivers front wheel well. Got a VAG code for Air hose leak. It sounded like air whisping slightly metallic. Larry thought it could be something with the turbo. Put in a forge and it still happened for a few days. Then it calmed down and now you just get the forge sound on lift off after hard acceleration which is louder than OEM DV. Give it a few days and see what happens. Re-tighten all the hose clamps and make sure it is in place the right way. Hope it goes away and see if you can hook up with some VAG software to see if you have any Turbo related codes. Doug
Old 06-19-2001, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I also heard "wooshing" sound as I let off the gas while shifting 1-2-3.

Then last week my check engine light came on. Dealer checked for codes and replaced the DV with a newer version. Just got the invoice in the mail yesterday and the new DV part # is 06A-145-170-N. Is this the N series everyone have been refering to. Anyway, I don't hear the wooshing sound anymore. Performance is still the same as I haven't noticed any differences.
Old 06-19-2001, 11:47 AM

yep, latest N version plastic thingy
Old 06-19-2001, 12:08 PM

N is far from A and closer to Z. (Joke)
Old 06-19-2001, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Duh!! You don't lose the noise with Forge or Bailey (more)

that's the sound of the piston opening. It shows it's working.

What you do get for your time and money is a dv that opens consistently within spec. AND you lose the "coke bottle" sound at 2200rpm from a ruptured oem dv diaphragm.
Old 06-19-2001, 12:43 PM

we need an audio clip of "the noise", then put in FAQ

Quick Reply: Forge DV did not make honking sound go away