TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Forge versus Bailey aka DV Wars...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2001, 04:41 PM
Eighth Member of AudiWorld. God-like, glorious and all-knowing.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Forge versus Bailey aka DV Wars...

How sad that after many attempts, Audi still cannot provide its owners with a reliable diverter valve. So we must pay $150 and up to find a reliable part, and ironically, face Audi's threat of potential warranty voiding. But that's my commentary, hopefully someday, someone with power will rectify the situation.

Until they do, it will be more good news for Bailey and Forge, aftermarket manufacturers of high-quality diverter valves. I own a Bailey valve, and it works well for me. Others have had excellent results with the Forge product.

I have dealt with both AWE-Tuning, primary U.S. supplier of the Bailey DV, and with Stratmosphere, primary U.S. supplier of the Forge DV. I am happy to say that I have received outstanding customer service from each.

Anyway, I came across this comparative write-up which I thought would be of interest. To view, click on the link below.<ul><li><a href="http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/vehicles/audireview.html">Forge and Bailey DVs</a></li></ul>
Old 01-11-2001, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ellen and M's site is a featured link

Interesting article..... I've tried both and the forge is smoother on my car, less of a turbo rush. But it must be noted my car has a bit of a turbo advantage courtesy MTM and had the engine rebuilt early in life due a snapped camshaft...

I've got a Bailey but am thinking of switching to the forge...
Old 01-11-2001, 05:57 PM

In Her Majesty's Service . . . 007 DV :-)!
Old 01-11-2001, 06:38 PM

Default I "had to" choose the Forge DV...

as the guys at AWE sell the Bailey as a rare wine. I hope it is worth the wait and the extra bucks. Stratmosphere delivered the DV immediatly and at a very good price. The Forge DV works just fine. You do not know what turbo lag means until you have one of this valves installed, because it is gone for good. Besides, when you take out the crap made by Bosch you see why it fails, it is made to fail, they (Audi and Bosch) should be ashamed of it, the same goes for the belgian made Monroe dampers...
Old 01-11-2001, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Brad, I heard that the Forge valve was a dump valve?? Can you elaborate??
Old 01-11-2001, 08:44 PM

Belgium made Monroes suck..Belgium Beer GOOD...mmmm
Old 01-12-2001, 02:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Should the "objectiveness" of the review be questioned, since it's Forge's site?
Old 01-12-2001, 03:34 AM

Default No - because review was written by Russell, who runs UK TT Owners Club

Review appeared in UK TTOC newsletter and on Russell's website. He is a very wise and knowledgable man.<ul><li><a href="http://www.tt-forum.co.uk">UK TT Forum</a></li></ul>
Old 01-12-2001, 04:58 AM

Default I e-mailed Russel on this review a while ago, and established that the DV30 that he used was...

installed like the OEM position (with piston face facing the low pressure side). Hence the whooshing noise.

There was also a little bitterness about Bailey's inability to supply product due to extreme US demand, even after the original glowing review (understandable!).

Bottom line is that the Bailey uses a non-stepped piston to maintain OEM outside dimensions. Having the same outside dimension as OEM means this valve is a direct replacement for *all* of the OEM Bosch valve applications, regardless of fitment space. Quite a versatile design.

Here is a repost I made on a VW forum regarding the differences between the stepped and non-stepped piston designs, and their relative orientation requirements:

"Hopefully I can shed some light on the subject of valve orientation:

First, a bypass valve works by having vacuum applied to it, "sucking" the internal diaphragm or piston open and thus venting boost.

The internal spring of a bypass type valve is only there to help close the diaphragm or piston after the re-introduction of boost.

(The internal spring has nothing to do with keeping the valve closed, as there is boost entering the valve through the vacuum port when the throttle is open, keeping the diaphragm or piston closed. So varying spring tensions on a BYPASS type valve does nothing!)

So, bottom line is: vacuum opens the valve.

Thus, it technically does not matter which way a bypass valve is installed during operation.

EXCEPT:
You'll want the bypass valve to act as a safety release of boost in case the vacuum line is cut or blocked.

Notice that the OEM valve has a small step around the base of the diaphragm. This allows the boost to encircle the diaphragm regardless of orientation and lift it up in case of vacuum loss. Other aftermarket valves are designed the same way, but the design ends up being much larger externally, limiting applications, and causing various fitment problems.

Because of its compact size (as small as the OEM valve), the Bailey has a cylindrical piston, meaning that the face of the piston must face the pressure side of the intake to allow boost to push it open, in case vacuum is lost.

So, as long as your valve has a shouldered diaphragm or piston, it can be installed in either direction.

If it does not have a shouldered piston, it should be oriented with the face of the piston facing the high pressure side of the intake.

I hope that clarifies some questions."
Old 01-12-2001, 05:03 AM

Default We're extremely apologetic about the recurring Bailey wait...

We order Baileys in quantities of hundreds each time, faster than Bailey can have them manufactured.

We appreciate the continued support and extreme popularity for this product. We have established a wide dealer network, and are filling stocking orders as fast as we can. This will make this item a lot more accessible.

Thanks for everyone's understanding. It appears in some way, Bailey is a victim of their own success!