TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Forgive me brothers and sisters, I have sinned. Please learn from my mistake.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2001, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forgive me brothers and sisters, I have sinned. Please learn from my mistake.

Yesterday I came out of a meeting and found my amulet TTR had been severely Willised by a flock of renegade Grackles.

I completely freaked out at the sight (I'm sure you all understand) because I was on my way to another meeting and knew I would have no chance to perform the usual loving handwash with Z7.

In desperation I whipped into the closet car wash, said a little prayer, and ran it through .

Too late I'm afraid. Not only did the bird poop etch the clear coat in a couple of places (what do those birds eat anyway?) but the ham handed towel boys put on several scratches before I could get out there and stop the madness.

I could hardly sleep all night. This morning I took it to a friend who owns a customizing shop. He brought out the buffer and a 3M compound called Finnesse-it II and was able to get out almost all the scratches. But still, it'll never be the same again.

And so, members of our faithful flock; heed my warning and learn from my indescretion. If beauty means anything to you never, but never, run your TT through a commercial carwash. You'll regret it all the days of your life.
Old 03-20-2001, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I scratched my rims from those satan spawn machines.......
Old 03-20-2001, 08:22 AM

Default yep the only thing i'll do other than hand wash is the high-pressure spray, non-contact ones

(and i do those myself!)
...dave
Old 03-20-2001, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

"Willised"? If I had the choice, I'd not want my name immortalized *that* way. Eeew!
Old 03-20-2001, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Just ask Monica Lewinsky!
Old 03-20-2001, 08:40 AM
Elder Member

Default Dave, many of the high-pressure washes are known to be bad news because they...

...recycle their water and don't clean their filters regularly. You end up blowing what is effectively a slurry against your paint.
Old 03-20-2001, 08:41 AM
Eighth Member of AudiWorld. God-like, glorious and all-knowing.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: "Willised"? If I had the choice, I'd not want my name immortalized *that* way. Eeew! ;)

I agree. I think "Willised" should be when you do something really great, or are very smart, or handsome! ;-)

But seriously folks, I had this happen with pigeons, and also scratched my old TT but good. I did a post on this and was just thinking that I should repost it for the benefit of newer forum members. Guess I was too late for you.

The bottom line is that birds eat a lot of grit. When they poop, "it's in there". So when your car is pooped on:

1. Get it off quick, as it will damage the clear coat.

2. DO NOT rub it off. Get the poop really, really wet and hose it off. Once 99.9% is off, you can use light elbow grease, if need be. I recommend keeping a bottle of Meguiars Quik Detailer and a terry towel in your trunk for just this purpose. Just be very careful about how and when you use that towel.
Old 03-20-2001, 08:49 AM

Atta boy Brad, don't take any crap from them! ;-)
Old 03-20-2001, 08:50 AM

Yup this is true...
Old 03-20-2001, 08:50 AM
Elder Member

but that slurry makes some pretty patterns in clearcoat lol

Quick Reply: Forgive me brothers and sisters, I have sinned. Please learn from my mistake.