TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Four tires at a time?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Four tires at a time?

I had an independent dealer tell me today that when replacing tires all four MUST be replaced at the same time or you can "burn up the transmission" on the TT quattro. Now there are two relatively brand new tires on the car and two pretty bad ones and I haven't "burned up" the tranny yet. Has anyone of ever heard of this? Sounds fishy to me.

Thanks

John
Old 10-11-2004, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default load of crap!

if that were true...I would have toasted my car's tranny several times.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:58 PM

Default Re: load of crap!

Thanks TwisTTer, that's what I figured.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default actually it's true>>

look in your manual. There can only be a certain difference in tread depth between tires. if you have two worn tires and two brand new ones, you might want to replace the other two...
Old 10-11-2004, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yes, but not "all 4"...

Some 4WD, AWD systems have problems with different tires, even different tread patterns on the same model-type of tire. Jeeps are infamous for this. They can actually destroy rear diff.s if the tires are diffferent, becuse the tread/tire diffs cause different drag/drive characteristics to the differential.
This is real, but I don['t think you need to worry.
change *both* tires, and you will be fine.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: load of crap!

that is crap when I bought my TT the women did not rotate the tires and 2 were worn real bad and 2 good, and i haven't had any problem, and what about all these people runnin staggerd rims, there cars run fine and have wider tires in rear
Old 10-11-2004, 05:32 PM

Default Although I would like to point out your logic flaw...

not that you're wrong, be he just said that it CAN happen. Just because it hasn't yet doesn't mean that it can't.

Now, I agree that he's being over cautious, but I would recomend replacing with similar tires (tread pattern, depth, compounds) and try to keep the same tires on the front wheels and then the same on the rears.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default The front and rear axles are almost always going a different speed, anyway.

You're rarely going in a perfectly straight line.

I can't remember the link, but I read a credible claim that the difference in wheel speed between front and rear is what keeps a slight torque load on the rear axle via the Haldex. It's why the TT quattro is never 100% FWD. You'll have to Google to confirm this.

In summary, you'll want tires that match your "good" tires, but you need not replace all at once. Note that different brands with the same DOT labels can have very different diameters.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default flaw? well, in all honesty if you are making a claim....

that it could possibly happen...you have to have a precedent or statistical data to prove that it could. I have not seen it. Where is the basis for this?

On the contrary, many folks here are running staggered setup, different tires sizes, different size spacers in fronts and rears. That alone supports my logic.

What do you suggest to support yours?
Old 10-12-2004, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Rereading your message, if you have two relatively new tires, and two crappy ones, I'd replace the..

...crappy ones, but not all 4.

Quick Reply: Four tires at a time?