TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

front chin air inlets!!!!!!! INTERCOOLERS

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2002, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front chin air inlets!!!!!!! INTERCOOLERS

i notice that on each side of the inlets for the intercoolers,half of them are coverd with a plastic piece,im purty sure that restricts less air to flow into the intercoolers,has anyone noticed it?anyone know the reason their there?well i took them off!!
Old 04-11-2002, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

They may in fact smooth the flow and reduce turbulance, I have left mine alone for this reason.
Old 04-11-2002, 01:02 PM

Default There was probably a reason for them.....

Lots of times there are problems with air flow becoming somewhat 'undisturbed' or 'laminer' and not cooperating with certain systems.

By partially covering an inlet, areas of high and low pressure are created which induce turbulence and can send the air where the engineer designed.

I'm guessing a bit at the reason for these particular plastic pieces, but I bet they were there for a purpose. Unfortunately, the Audi Engineers aren't as dumb as we'd sometimes like to believe.
Old 04-11-2002, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Put em back in and yank the aliens......

they're obviously there for a reason...as Jim pointed out, probably to better direct the air, increase it's velocity by narrowing the funnel, and or reduce turbulence...
Old 04-11-2002, 01:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audi aerodynamicists some of the best in the industry

Many times we are critical of the engineering capabilities of Audi engineering. But the truth is that VAG has some of the most talented engineers in the industry. Audi has led the research on vehicle aerodynamics for many years. Audi has spent many dmarks, now Euros, and developing state-of-the-art wind tunnel facilities including moving floor and glass floor wind tunnels to tame the wind. Audi and Volkswagen led in computational fluid dynamics. The Society of Automotive Engineers bookstore has a book edited by the former chief of aerodyanamics at Volkswagen. Even though the book is over ten years old, it shows the technical skill at VAG.

The drop throttle oversteer issue was not based on any flaws by Audi and its engineers. Instead, Audi designed the TT Mk I with fairly aggressive handling characteristics that, unfortunately, exceeded the driving skills of some of the purchasers. Audi quickly revised it design using both aerodynamics and suspension changes to widen the handling limits of the vehicle and make the car safer for the somewhat marginal, or stupid, driver.

If Audi placed it on your car there is a definite reason for it to exist. Unnecessary parts increase costs and creat inventory and quality control issues.

Cordially,

John J. Szobocsan

NM TT #11
Old 04-11-2002, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

All you engineers this bright?? That "Laminered" right over my head
Old 04-11-2002, 02:14 PM

Default Maybe you'd understand it like this...

Laminer would be a good pour of beer from a tap.
Turbulent would be a bad pour of beer from a tap.

Just remember that for beer laminer is better.

any questions?
Old 04-11-2002, 02:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL Great comment!
Old 04-11-2002, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Then Laminer me a beer!
Old 04-11-2002, 02:42 PM

Default Maybe saturday nite?

There's a 'girls nite out' thing that I'm not invited to attend. Go figure.

Quick Reply: front chin air inlets!!!!!!! INTERCOOLERS