TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Full starvation on turns?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full starvation on turns?

I take my TT to the track a lot to do HPDEs and I'm beginning to realize that almost invariably the first session out I get what I thought was just terrible turbo lag on turns when first giving gas. It happens both on 2nd and 3rd gear turns, and most pronounced on 2nd gear corners. Press on the gas and nothing for a few moments as if the accelerator pedal is disconnected. Then I began to realize that as I begin tracking out, as lateral forces diminish, I get back throttle response and the car behaves normally again. I'm figuring it's fuel starvation. It only happens the first session. Is the ECU learning the new driving environment? Subsequent sessions on track car behaves great. BTW, I am chipped (225 w/ GIAC X-chip, forge DV, miltek) otherwise stock engine.

Any thoughts on what this is? Any thoughts on how to make this go away?

Thanks in advance...

Also anyone going to Audi Club Golden Gate Chapter Driving School at Infineon?
Old 11-12-2004, 10:23 AM

Default uhm... is your ESP on?

I know it sounds dumb, but it happened to one of the S4 guys at the Heartland Park DE this year. and to another at the auto-x last weekend. not their fault, they just didn't know to turn it off when playing. Fuel starvation shouldn't be possible.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Turn the esp off and see if the problem goes away...

I know that esp pulls back timing if it senses any upwards motion or high yaw rates

Also the fuel pump has an enclosure (a swirl pot) around it that's always full of fuel regardless of whether the fuel in the tank is sloshing around. The fuel in the enclosure keeps the pump cool and fed at all times.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

ESP always off at track - that's not it
Old 11-12-2004, 11:06 AM
Rest In Peace

Default Hmmm...>>>

when you say you press on the gas, does the motor rev??? or does nothing happen at all??? If it rev's but the car does not go, could be your clutch.....
Old 11-12-2004, 11:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DOH!
Old 11-12-2004, 11:14 AM

Default interesting...

it sounds exactly like an ESP issue, but if you turn esp off, that shouldn't be it. Fuel starvation can't really be an issue the way the fuel pump is set up. Are you having any other issues other than no acceleration? any electrical or gauge anomolies? The only other think I could think of right now would be a loose connector somewhere. Have you noticed it in daily driving or just on the track? Does it happen on both left and right turns?
Old 11-12-2004, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: ESP off, motor does NOT rev momentarily..

...then scoot motor feels strong like normal.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: interesting... BTW THANKS ALL FOR INPUT SO FAR

Never any CELs on or off track. No electrical gremlins except I always have to do a window cha cha up and down to get it to go back up.

I do run 100 octane at the track and I do get an occasional back fire when lifting quickly.

I'm trying to remember, I don't think theres a difference left or right.

Does seem to happen at maximum yaw fo the turn at apex. Doesn't seem to be affected by drift angle.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:23 PM

Default that's very odd, I'm at a loss...

if it were present turning one direction and not the other, I would thin i to be a loose connector, which it still could be, just doesn't sound as likely. I'd follow some of the electrical leads and make sure all the connectors seem secure and something isn't exposed or shorting out. Check that the battery isn't moving and maybe cutting your juice temporarily. Other than that, I'm spent. Someone else might have some ideas tho.

Quick Reply: Full starvation on turns?