TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Garrett TT Chip Update

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-1999, 10:32 PM
Jim S

Default Garrett TT Chip Update

Well, I've got 2500 miles on my Garrett-chipped TT and not a single problem to report except that I drive way too fast now.

So far gas mileage is still a rock solid 27 mpg.

With 200HP and 245ft/lb of torque, this is how Audi should have made the TT from the factory...

After putting a good deal of miles on my TT with no problems and 2 dealer services with no problems from them, I'd say there's no reason to not chip your 180 TT's and TTQ's out there. There's a whole lot more car there that you need a chip to use.

Garrett and Todd @ Air and Water Enterprises were great to work with took extra special care of my TT while they installed the chip.

I have no connection with GIAC or AWE, I'm just a very satisfied customer.

Jim S.
Silver/black FWD in NJ
Old 09-09-1999, 02:52 AM
Ari Jay Comet

Default Cost, Web Site, Etc.

Jim:

Could you remind us again as to the cost, the web site link, and other information pertinent?

(Ok, i am a lazy bastage who doesnt want to search the archives - that, and I want to make sure that I get current/accurate info)..

Also, how hard is the swap, do you suppose, to do the chip switch yourself? Is it worth letting the dealer do?

Do you have the stock exhaust and intake still on your car? If not, why? If so, is it restricting your ability to harness the HP/torque increase?

I'm sure that with the website or phone # i can callt o get the info myself - so thanks ahead of time..

-Ari
Old 09-09-1999, 05:46 AM
Joe

Default 245Lb-Ft??

That's a lot of torque! You can 70 Lb-ft just with a chip that retunes the turbo and ignition timing? And this is a fwd? Ramble more...Some of us will read every word!
Old 09-09-1999, 07:40 AM
PeterK

Default GIAC chip web site link

http://www.ross-tech.com/g-chip/english.htm<ul><li><a href="http://www.ross-tech.com/g-chip/english.htm">ross technology GIAC chips</a></li></ul>
Old 09-09-1999, 07:43 AM
PeterK

Default Direct GIAC link to site with TT info (nt)

<ul><li><a href="http://www.giacusa.com/welcome.html">GIAC direct link</a></li></ul>
Old 09-09-1999, 02:07 PM
Chris M

Default Re: Garrett TT Chip Update

Are those the advertised numbers, or did you actually put your car on a dyno and measure the results?
Old 09-10-1999, 06:08 AM
Rik

Default Tell me true- What is the downside? for example.....

- Are you using 89 octane will the car PING incessantly if you go below 93?

- Please note any other annoyances you may have encountered.

Rik
Old 09-10-1999, 08:23 PM
Jim S.

Default Re: Tell me true- What is the downside? for example.....

Never run anything less than 93... never ran anything less than 93 before the chip, as Audi recommends... so I dont know what would happen. certainly wouldnt HURT the car, it would just pull the boost and timing back to correct for the lower grade gas.

Jim
Old 09-10-1999, 08:26 PM
Jim S.

Default Re: 245Lb-Ft??

Yep, thats a full dyno-tested 245ft/lb of torque and yes it is a fwd. It can spin the tires in 2nd gear if you really get on it, but in normal driving, its very controllable.

I believe the dyno graphs are on the GIAC website http://www.giacusa.com

Jim

Old 09-10-1999, 08:29 PM
Jim S.

Default Re: Cost, Web Site, Etc.

Ari,

Cost for the chip is on the GIAC website, www.giacusa.com

My car is completely stock except for the chip. I am looking for an exhaust right now, but there's not much out there yet.

As for doing it yourself, I'd say that unless you are really good with a soldering iron that would be a no. you can either mail your ecu to GIAC or if you are in the NY/NJ/PA area, you can drop by and they can do it for you in 1/2 an hour or so.

Hope this helps, email me if you have any other questions, etc. jsnell@home.com

Jim