TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Gear Box

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-1999, 11:40 AM
TJHUK

Default Gear Box

225 Q I have done 2500 miles, I am really getting to like this car now, but had hoped gearbox would start to get smoother. This week has had the lowest temprature's in S.E. England for a while, 1.5 degree's C. I have noticed the box is really notchy / clunky between 1st, 2nd & 3rd much more than normal. has anyone else experienced this with the 6 speed box ?
Old 11-18-1999, 12:04 PM
Victor F

Default Re: Gear Box

I have noticed this too when the weather gets cold. Reverse is sometimes difficult to get into too however I'm pleased that there is no grinding in any of the cases.

I used to have an A3 and it took a couple of thousand miles before it really loosened up and was more slick. I also used to have an MGF and that was a nightmare with the gears as they occasionally slipped out especially reverse. Am I glad to see the back of that.
Old 11-18-1999, 12:24 PM
sjv

You lucky Brits! What was the MGF like? I've never seen one in the flesh...
-steve
Old 11-18-1999, 12:32 PM
Victor F

It was nice looking and fun to drive and throw around but it was heavily let down by build quality and reliability of the components. The car is now dating very quickly and Rover have tried to revamp it's image but in my opinion have failed miserably.
The steering was a dream but I found the car a bit nervous under some braking conditions as the front got very light as the car was mid/rear-engined.
Old 11-18-1999, 12:35 PM
Andy W

Default Yes.. Can any oil experts comment?

My TT 225Q has done 3300 miles, and recently 2nd gear is really hard to engage when cold. Tonight it was a real bitch. Its fine when the cars warmed up though.

To get over it I'm having to be very direct and smooth with clutch and box

I wonder whether the viscosity of the gearbox oil is too high.

Anyone else help?
Old 11-18-1999, 02:26 PM
Marius B

Default The slight mechanical notchy-ness is designed into the 225 gear box.

Part of the stern aesthetics, I believe.

No joke.

Seriously! :-)
Old 11-18-1999, 02:35 PM
Ross

How does the 225 feel? (nt)
Old 11-18-1999, 02:37 PM
mne

why in the world would anyone WANT notchiness Marius? What good can come from it? (nt)
Old 11-18-1999, 11:00 PM
Cameron

Default Agreed, RS-A and M3 Lightweight gearboxes are also slightly "notchy" (nt)

nt
Old 11-18-1999, 11:13 PM
Victor F

I was wondering that too. (nt)

Quick Reply: Gear Box