TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

General chip thoughts advice from a novice/ first day impressions with Garrett chip'

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2001, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default General chip thoughts advice from a novice/ first day impressions with Garrett chip'

Great first day with the chip! Lots of driving, both Highway and back road, have given me a good feel of what the chip does to the car.

The chip makes the cars power band much smoother, it continues to pull with even more strength through the main power range (3,500-5,000rpms).. Blasphemy I know, but it reminds me of BMW's straight six, for example no more need to downshift to 5th at 80 to get decent acceleration, just step on the gas and by the time you reach 4k the cars is hauling ***. This is true in each gear, I found that at 4k the car is just PUUUULLLLLIIIINNNGGG. And, it is so subtle that it took a while to indentify at first, like I said it is smooth. But when you go from 80 to ahem 100+ like a rocket, WITHOUT DOWNSHIFTING! You know it is there.

Now, I do also, know why Audi did not tune the car to run like this. Because, is order to keep all this power in control the brakes, suspension, intake need to be up to the task. Thus, the ever popular advice to chip last upgrade every thing else first. A number of times on the twisties I felt the extra power comes on so quick that it can really set-you up badly in a turn (this is with the ESP off). When I would set myself up in a turn w/a little drift I felt as though the extra power could put you in a bad position quickly w/out the proper attention/additional mods.

I still would have chipped first, I really wanted more power. But I will definately get the Bilsteins now, and need to get better braker too(I'll try to where these out first)

Why I picked Garrett.
1.) Relative performance to $$ expenditure gain.
2.) Good reputation on the forum.
3.) Local tuner.
4.) abilty to switch between stock and modded chips (check out website for more details).

I also, must thank the guys at PES-tuning. Tony, MIke and Gary are great. I now know that they will definatley be getting more of my money :-)

A faq? Did I do good, maybe everyone else can outline why they choose their chips in the thread and then just make on big faq about it.

I know I would have like that when I first started up.<ul><li><a href="http://www.pes-tuning.com">http://www.pes-tuning.com</a</li></ul>
Old 04-29-2001, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cool -- nice observations about your garrett chip...matches my own with the apr chip...

your thoughts about the chipped car really needing braking and suspension improvements is right on. i have had to hold back to a greater extent than before i chipped on my back country road twisty course -- something that i hope will change in 10 days when my bilsteins and stoptechs are installed.

have fun!
Old 04-29-2001, 06:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The guys as PES are great... they already got a few dollars from me...

I got the High Flow Intake on friday.. I was going on saturday but I couldn't wait to get my DV fixed. I think the Intake helps a bit too with the power of the car.