TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Getting my TT windows REALLY clean..

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2002, 07:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting my TT windows REALLY clean..

had been a problem with both the TT's I owned. Despite using Stoner Invisible Glass there was something on the windows that I couldn't get off.

I placed a call to the Stoner company asking them what they'd recommend I try next. One of their salepeople "Brian" told he he'd ask the guys in the chem lab to see if they had any ideas and call me back the next day.

He returned the call and said " Our people think that you may have Kosmoline on the glass from when the car was shipped, we have a product that will remove it"

He then advised me to get "Tarminator," another Stoner product, and try it on the glass, putting it on a rag FIRST not spraying it on the glass.

Lo and behold after using the Tarminator, then Invisible Glass and newspaper, that junk (whatever it was) is gone, there are no smears or streaks, the glass is really clean!

You may have trouble finding Tarminator depending on your location so look at the Stoner Web page for a local supplier, or contact them directly, they are good people!

http://www.stonersolutions.com/AboutStoner.htm

Look under "other products" on that page for more info.

Old 07-31-2002, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default found something recently that works surprisingly well...

Almost embarrassed to admit it, but Mopar glass cleaner is the best I've found. It lifted some yellowish stuff off the windshield that I didn't even know was there. Mopar liquid car wash concentrate is also very good...leaves no residue whatsoever and won't strip the wax.
Old 07-31-2002, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Has anyone tried Stoner other products ?????
Old 07-31-2002, 11:40 AM

Default Yes (details inside)..

Xenit - removes adhesive residue - like the sticker goo left after removing the sticker in the upper right corner of the TT windshield

Tarminator - removes tar and bugs (especially from bicycle chains - but make sure it doesn't get into any bearings) Also removes 'burned on' plastic that is left after a minivan (not my minivan!) and an SVT Focus get too close. (Not a scratch left on the Focus, by the way).

More Shine, Less Time for Tires - keeps clean tires shiny for a few days, be careful not to use too much before driving away or it may splatter on the car (or just leave it sit for a bit after application)

Bead Max - experimented on minivan - leaves super bead surface for a few days, a little easier to apply than paste wax, but just OK

Upholstery and Carpet cleaner - removes coffee stains from fabric, carpeting, etc. Foam-like so it doesn't soak the object with moisture but still removes dirt.

The EZ Gust is just the 'tornado in a can' that you can buy at any office supply or hardware store, or, better yet, get an air compressor.

I bought a Stoner Cleaning Products kit that contained one can of each of 14 products, haven't had a chance to use them all yet. It appears that many Forum folks use other products for detailing/cleaning.

Have fun.
Old 07-31-2002, 12:22 PM

Wow. That is great customer service. Impressive.
Old 07-31-2002, 05:39 PM

Default Re: Getting my TT windows REALLY clean..

My windshield also feels as if it is rough and abrasive. Try as I might I can't get it off with regular soap. Could this be the cosmoline? How much of the tarminator did you use? It didn't affect the windshield, e.g. haze?
Thanks!
Old 07-31-2002, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can clay bar your windshield, that should help.
Old 07-31-2002, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks cuTTi for the info
Old 08-03-2002, 08:01 AM

Default It could be RAIL DUST....athough this is usually on the paint..

it was all over my 2002 ALMS TT when I picked it up from the dealer's detail shop. I had to clay bar the entire car to get it off now it's fine.

As far as what's on your glass it's hard to say. you can try the clay bar treatment there too, it won't hurt the glass at all. Clay bar 'pulls' the rail dust and other contaminants out of the paint's clear coat. Just keep it wet when you use it!

My windshield wasn't rough to the touch, it was smeary almost like silicone. Kosmoline is a greasy waxy like material that has been seen oozing out of the body panels on some TT's, mine included. It's used as a preservative when shipping the car to prevent salt damage.

I only needed a small amount of Tarminator on a rag to get the smeary junk off my glass. Although it is safe for paint, they advised me against spraying it on and leaving it for very long. Especially since I have a clear bra on the car, it might attack the vinyl material.

In a worst case.. I have used Soft Scrub,the bathroom cleaner, on my glass :Get the thick liquid variety. It is mildly abrasive, but didn't seem to leave any visible scratches after use. This was recommended by the RainX people. I'd say use it at your own risk on a small area of the 'rough' glass, if you can't get it smooth any other way.