TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Good source for extended warrenty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2002, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good source for extended warrenty?

I am not looking for the cheapest per-se. I want good coverage at a fair price. Ideas?
Old 08-25-2002, 07:28 PM
TP

Default Bought mine through Warranty Direct.

Let me know if you decide to go through them as I think I get some kind of referral $$.<ul><li><a href="http://www.warrantydirect.com">http://www.warrantydirect.com</a</li></ul>
Old 08-25-2002, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'd be interested in hearing what you decide.

I'm kinda looking around for one now. I should have done it a long time ago since I'm getting close to being out of warranty (42,700 miles now and I'll probably hit 50,000 by the end of the year) so hopefully that doesn't cause any problems with getting an extended warranty.
Old 08-25-2002, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

can I ask how much $$$ and what it covers ,etc?
Old 08-25-2002, 07:38 PM
Eighth Member of AudiWorld. God-like, glorious and all-knowing.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Audi extended mine to 62,500 miles without my asking!
Old 08-25-2002, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I am still intrested, but I found out that place does not cover wisconsin :-(
Old 08-25-2002, 07:53 PM
TP

Default A couple of bits of info for you...

- The warranty gets more costly with the more miles you have on the car.

- Many warranty companies require that your car still be covered by the manufacturer's warranty in order for you to buy from them.

- Some warranty companies require a minimum amount of miles remain on your factory warranty. One of the places I was considering turned me down as I was at 49,920 miles on my odometer. They required at least 1,000 miles remaining on the factory warranty.

- Ask the companies where the breaks are in the price. If you break X miles, will there be a jump in price? Some had a significant increase once the car topped 48K.

- You've probably heard it a million times, but get an exclusionary warranty not an inclusionary.

- Look at deductibles. They can vary quite a bit. If you replace a big ticket item, you can recoup the extra $ you spent on the cost of a $0 deductible warranty.

- Look at mileage reimbursement, rental reimbursement, hotel reimbursement, and the other usual extras.

- Look at where you can/have to take your car. Some let you take it anywhere, others restrict where you can take it.

- Some cannot sell to people in various U.S. states.

- Some sell exclusively over the Internet.

- Ask your deal who they recommend. My dealer happens to sell an Acura warranty exclusively. Since I wasn't eligible for the Acura warranty (not enough miles left on my factory warranty), I asked the service manager who is easiest for them to deal with. He actually spoke very highly of Warranty Direct. He cited ease of use and high level of coverage.

- Get one that gets your car worked on right away without having to wait for numerous pre-authorizations and phone calls.

- Get one that has the company pay the dealerhsip directly without having you pay first then reimbursing you.

- Consider a warranty company that your service department is used to dealing with. My impression is that if there should ever be a problem, the dealer will deal with the company directly without holding your car "hostage" while waiting to resolve the problem.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 08-25-2002, 07:55 PM
TP

You should give them a call. Sometimes they can sell over the phone but not through the Internet.
Old 08-25-2002, 07:59 PM

Why?
Old 08-25-2002, 08:05 PM
Eighth Member of AudiWorld. God-like, glorious and all-knowing.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Presumably because TT #1 was a lemon, &amp; this one had a fair number of problems as well.

Quick Reply: Good source for extended warrenty?