TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Got to drive the Z4 today...impressions

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2002, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got to drive the Z4 today...impressions

Dropped by the BMW dealership today to see the Z4 in person. Was just checking it out on the showroom floor, and a sales woman came up and asked if I wanted to take it for a spin. I explained I am probably 2 years from buying again, and I wouldn't feel right about taking up her time....she, very nicely, twists my arm...and away we go.

Drove the 2.5 184 HP 5 speed about 20 miles...highway in town, and backroads

Cons:
>Not turbo charged, although using the sport function adds some kick.
>The leather interior is not very tight, lots of dimples and puckers.
>The steering wheel is quite small.
>Thus, the intrument cluster is small too
>Rear wheel drive only.
>Though I like the look of the hoops behind the head restraints...they are covered in plastic.

Pros:
>The straight 6, though not turbo charged, has more than sufficient go (OK...maybe not for Schwing and friends, but fine for me).
>Exhaust is very throaty. Was told the 3.0 is even deeper.
>Headliner is standard.
>BMW finally got smart and added a glass rear window.
>One touch power top available...no latch to undo or fasten.
>The top folds so that the front section of the top is facing up...thus it functions as it's own boot.
>I personally like the styling...dominant front end/hood, BMW side markers, interesting rear, brushed interior available.
>When seated, the doors come up about 2-3 inches short of where the TTs doors do...makes for a very open environment.
>Stereo and climate control are dominant in the center of the dash, and very easy to use.
>Center console doubles as a armrest.
>Power Seats are standard.
>Typical solid feel of german engineering...no creaks and rattles (I'm sure that would change with time)
>lastly, and I realize this is very American of me...the cup holders are fantastic. They are placed below the vents on the front corners and hide in the dash.

long story short...this may be blasphemy to some...this car is at the top of my list for next up...05, maybe 04.

Oh yeah, they had a Z8 there also...Unbelievable look to that car. Of course, for 130K, it better be sharp.
Old 12-28-2002, 03:42 PM

Default drove the z4 3.0 2 weeks ago ....

it wasn't a test drive, I was picking up my m3 at the bmw performance center in SC. I was supposed to take my m3 from the performance center to the bmw factory for the tour. But they had to update my m3's nav software so they gave me a 3.0 z4 to drive.

Since the car already past the break in period, I went full throtle as soon as engine temp is normal. Without the sport mode on the car feels just ok, the sport button really makes the car come alive. It's more like a turbo on/off button . overall the z4 is a nice car but the look is yucky for me.

BTW while I was in the BMW factory I saw they are building z4s with much nicer wheels, prolly those are not US cars.
Old 12-28-2002, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default She said there's all kinds of different stuff coming in early 03

some of the wheels are great, some are ugly.

when does the order for the Lambo go in?
Old 12-28-2002, 03:53 PM

Default LOL ...

the last 3 lines in my sig are supposed to be a joke and I need to take them out.

BTW i think 03 z4 will have the smg as an option, I have smg in my m3 and I really love it. I really hope those cool wheels that I saw in the factory will be an option for US cars, because those wheels make the car looks more aggresive.
Old 12-28-2002, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

keep the lines...I got the joke