TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Got my deposit rejected at Cutter Motors!! :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-1999, 09:28 PM
MikeS (SB)

Default Got my deposit rejected at Cutter Motors!! :(

A few weeks ago I joined the priveleged group of expected TT'ers. I put the typical $500 down to reserve my spot for the spring release of the roadster. When I gave my deposit to my sales rep (Michael) he showed me that I would be receiving the #3 roadster that they would get. I checked back in a few weeks later to see if any new news had developed about the roadster. Low and behold news had developed, My Deposit was RETURNED to me! I couldn't beleive it! This is the first case of this that I had ever heard of. It turns out that the Sales Manager (Jon Shafer) wouldn't take any more deposits down on TTs. I couldn't believe what I was hearing! How can that be possible? I mean my deposit was already taken, processed and put in the books. The story I was given was that they didn't want to have to refund my deposit if i decided to back out of my reservation. Hmm.. well my money had to be refunded to me anyways. Damn, what kind of story is that anyways! They will take a deposit down on any other car they sell, S4's, 328ci's...etc.. WTF is up with Cutter Motors! Anyone have a clue as to why this has happened? Anyone know of a dealership that will take my money in Souther California? ... I think I might take a drive downt o Newport Beach this weekend, I'm pretty sure they will take my money, maybe they will even treat me a little better.

Mike
w/ a denied deposit on a TT Roadster & 1.8TQSM A4
Old 10-19-1999, 09:40 PM
Brad Willis

Default Re: Got my deposit rejected at Cutter Motors!! :(

First of all, I'm sorry that you had this experience. There will initially be very few TT Roadsters released in the USA, so demand should be extraordinarily high. My personal opinion is this dealer intends to mark up the living heck out of them. When they discovered that you had put down a deposit to buy one at MSRP (the horror!), they decided that scoring several thousand dollars in profit via markup was more important than their commitment to you. Again, I want to emphasize that this is speculation on my part, but I'll bet that this is what happened.

I would suggest that you call Audi Customer Service at 800-822-2834, and file an inquiry. Please keep us posted as to the response that you get, or if you encounter any new information. Should you not get the attention that you deserve, further action against the dealer may be appropriate, but start with Customer Service and let's see where that goes.
Old 10-19-1999, 10:20 PM
John P.

Default Brad--a related story in your neck of the woods . . . and Mike S--a suggestion

Brad,
I was in San Diego a few weeks ago (I've lived in L.A. since 1996, San Diego beforehand). A friend of mine is interested in an A4, so I suggested that we go to Miramar Audi since you seemed reasonably happy with your treatment there. Upon asking the salesperson about the length of their 225 coupe waiting list, I was told that Miramar was no longer accepting ANY deposits on all TTs!

Mike,
I have a deposit on a 225 coupe at Rusnak Audi in Pasadena, California. Because I put down the deposit a year ago, I'm not sure whether they will still take your money. Thus far, they have been very courteous and helpful. Give 'em a call--here's the url:
http://www.rusnakautogroup.com/

Good Luck,
John P.
Old 10-20-1999, 04:32 AM
Joe

Default Re: Got my deposit rejected at Cutter Motors!! :(

I sympathize greatly. I put a deposit down at my local (CT) dealer in June. So, at the end of July "my" car came in as a silver/ebony, rather than blue/blue, car. So I reordered. Now its the second half of October, and my salesman doesn't seem able to give me either a status or a VIN, despite the fact that I -clawed- out of him that it was on a ship more than five weeks ago.

I don't mind the wait, but my dealership seems lax at giving out information. Which makes me all the more suspicious about what happened with that first car. I still wonder if they sold my original blue order out from under me. (I am going in at lunch today to see if I can get any more info from them).

Suffice it to say that I sympathize and commiserate with your dealer woes. We should start a "My Story" area of the site to record such instances...
Old 10-20-1999, 05:34 AM
Jenner

What dealership in CT? I am getting my TT this Friday from Hoffman. (nt)
Old 10-20-1999, 05:58 AM
Denny

Joe has been dealing with Pray in Greenwich (nt)
Old 10-20-1999, 06:09 AM
Jenner

Default I am SO sorry to hear that. Get out while you still can!!!!!

Peter B. an A4 Avant owner and member of the CT/NY "On the Border" A4 group has told us the horror stories that have gone on down there.

I hope Joe's experience is better than Peters!

-Jenner
RIP '99.5 1.8T QMS Spoiler/Garrett/MM Spiders
'00 180QX TT(Friday!)
Old 10-20-1999, 06:26 AM
Denny

I used Danbury and they were terrific (nt)
Old 10-20-1999, 06:38 AM
Jenner

So are both of you from CT? We'll have to get together sometime or start a TT group or something! (nt)
Old 10-20-1999, 06:53 AM
Wes

Default Re: I am SO sorry to hear that. Get out while you still can!!!!!

Are you selling your A4?

Quick Reply: Got my deposit rejected at Cutter Motors!! :(