TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Great... Just got a FLAT TIRE on my rear left BLOWTENZA.... Need your advice PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2001, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great... Just got a FLAT TIRE on my rear left BLOWTENZA.... Need your advice PLEASE

I was driving on the highway then heard the vibration of the tire as if it was flat.
Steering was okay, but there I started to smell a not-so nice burned scent. I pulled over within 2 minutes, and sure enough, one of the tires was blown. 15K miles.

I called Roadside assistance, and they said it would take about 90-120 minutes before someone could come and change my tire. They would not bring it to the dealership. So I said screw this and changed to the spare myself within 15 minutes.

I am about to drive to the dealership with this spare tonight and leave it at the dealership so I don't have to hit traffic tomorrow morning.

QUESTIONS:

Now, I know there was an issue with the Potenzas. Should I ask to get my tires changed for free since I have the Blowtenzas? It may have been a piece of glass, but they may lie to me.

Also, is my rim okay or warped? It didn't smell too nice and was very hot to the touch by the time I was able to pull over.

Thanks so much.

Edwin
225 Blue TTC
Old 10-11-2001, 06:23 PM

Default Check the tire yourself...look for either a screw..piece of metal or something

in the tread....I really dont think glass will cut your tire...Ive driven over may beer bottles ect... in mine with no problem... on the rim as long as you have no metal damage on the rim lip ....you will probably be ok... I have in the past caused a flat to almost set on fire....extreme smoking from the tire with no rim damage...I would get the tire elsewhere and save some money...unless your tires have any warranty on them...ussually prorated though...
Old 10-11-2001, 06:46 PM

Default at 15K, they may or may not have much life left - how's the tread?

if they're getting worn, you might want to consider replacing 'em all at once...
(I know, $$$ ...)
Old 10-12-2001, 10:02 AM

Default Update on Flat Tire: Bridgestone will be replacing on 1 of the rears (question)

Will this be a problem? I have 15K on the Blowtenzas and I've heard that you should always replace tires by the pair so there is no mismatch in tread. Can this be confirmed?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-12-2001, 11:01 AM

Default it's a matter of degree

things don't have to match exactly, but it's better if they're relatively close.
depends on how badly your existing tires are worn (you'll have to look at them, there's no magic formula).
15K is getting up there (for the RE040s, not necessarily for other tires), so it's possible they are nearing the replacement age. Or maybe not (depends a bit on your driving style, etc.).

the main drawback to replacing with the same thing is that the RE040s have a bad history. the tendency is to try to get rid of them as soon as possible and switch to [practically anything else]. for myself, I've still using them as of 11K, will stick with 'em until snow tire season (getting close fast) and maybe will replace in the Spring (not sure yet).

if the tread on the other tire is pretty good, I wouldn't bother replacing now. wait until a more convenient time, and replace 'em all. but, if it's getting pretty worn, maybe you should replace it. if ALL of them are getting pretty worn, I'd replace them all with either RE730s (seems to be the tire of choice around here), or else some other brand.

good luck...
Old 10-15-2001, 04:26 AM

Thanks, rollerskate!