TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

GTI test drive this afternoon.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GTI has an automatic tranny? The A3 DSG for sure is like two 3 spd manual trannies mated into one
Old 01-30-2006, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default no, it comes in a manual and a dsg.

but the DSG is like an automatic....a really fancy automatic
Old 01-30-2006, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default I'm facing the same delimma, keep the TT or move to an A3...

I want the 2.0t w/ Quattro, but not available in North America. I may keep the TT and spend the extra cash I save on not buying a new car and buy extended warranty.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default yeah, an A3 Quattro 2.0T would have been good...

but the GTI just doesn't excite me as much as i want it to.........and it's basically the same car as the A3.

if the A3 came in a 3-door version, it'd be nicer.

but yeah.....the decision wasn't too hard.....i'll just keep the TT. like you said, using the extra money i've saved instead of getting a new car for either the warranty....or take my chances and wait for repairs
Old 01-30-2006, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wait for the S3, hehe...

It might end up overpriced, but it will have the 2.0T with some extra punch and quattro at least.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hold out for an R36?
Old 01-30-2006, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I see. But I beg to differ. Automatic = torque converter + planetary gears = rotational inertia +

viscous coupling = torque loss

DSG = hydraulic clutches + direct gear engagement = like manual transmission without the clutch pedal

It's practically F1 technology in a $26k car.

I've driven a couple of DSG A3's and I am still impressed. I wish they bring that over the Tiptronic equipped cars
Old 01-30-2006, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Do you mean this?

<ul><li><a href="http://www.modernracer.com/vwr32.html">Click here</a></li></ul>
Old 01-30-2006, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default if you decide to leave the TT, go for the A3

it is much better than the GTI IMO. i loved the A3 when i test drove it, i drove both DSG and manual. i loved the car, and with a chip it would be sick. the fit and finish on the A3 was much better than the GTI and i think the overall appearance looks sportier than the GTI. i definitely wasn't impressed today when i looked at the GTI.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:42 PM

Default I'm surprised...

I just drive a 6-speed GTI half an hour ago, and the specific thing I liked best (as opposed to general feel/look of the car) was the 2.0T, which I think has torque to spare at throttle tip in and right off the line, in contrast with any 1.8T I've driven - the bigger the turbo, the worse they are in that particular regard. For a stock car, (and I didn't max it out) it sured seemed to want to rev towards it's peak in a way that at least K03/K03S cars don't. Very nice, I thought. And you guys with the 6 speed already know, but this new version of it is far better than the old 5-speed 02J box; together, the engine and gearbox make for a very symbiotic relationship; it's "bap!" "bap!" "bap!" up throught the first 3 gears - really liked it, as you can probably tell. Honestly, quite a bit more than I thought I would. Drove a GLI a few months ago and wasn't impressed, though there was an extra passeger aboard that time. That's what I really like about the old GTI's like the Mk II: it's the right motor combined with the right gearbox.

And this is probably important to understand where I'm coming from; though I stepped out of my old GTI to drive this one, my FWD TT with it's quick-spooling K03S is probably making about 220 crank hp, based on the VAG-logging I've done, so it's no slouch, as some here with 225s can attest. Not saying the GTI is quicker at the end of the day, but the 1.8T can't quite match it for it's flexibility and responsiveness all around, I don't think. Maybe I'll take the TT with me on another GTI drive this weekend...

Quick Reply: GTI test drive this afternoon.