TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Has anyone done an AutoX in a TT, or seen one yet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-1999, 10:23 PM
Mike Zamarocy

Default Has anyone done an AutoX in a TT, or seen one yet?

I am curious as to how well it would do. I think it would be in G Stock, same as the A4. Now seeing as it has more HP than the 1.8T, and only a bit less than the 2.8, but weighs over 400lbs LESS than an A4 (as well as all the nice sport add-ons) - it actually might do well. Even against the Type R's.<p>So I wonder if any TT's have been tried at an AutoX, and where.<p>Thanks Guys!
Old 08-09-1999, 03:04 AM
Ari Jay Comet

Default You bet your monkey-butt I raced mine....

Hey there.. if you look down into the archives, I have a message about "racing my TT"....<p>Anyhow, I raced it solo2 here in Cleveland, Ohio.. there are two local clubs that race in Akron, about 1 hour south of the downtown Cleveland area...<p>I ran G-Stock and placed second - and only ran .3 to .5 secs behind the fastest car... the fastest car was on R1/Kumho (not sure which) race tires..<p>His car is a 2nd generation Mitsubishi Eclipse Turbo AWD (GSX) which boasts 4-spinning-wheels and all wheel drive.... - he also has 210HP stock, compared to my 180HP..<p>So, when I was beating him till the end, I was quite happy... remember, I was on STREET TIRES!<p>On race tires G-Stock would have been easy... there were other cars competing too... such as a ford probe, a nissan maxima, and a few others..<p>(As an aside, there were modified Eclipse cars who ran slower than me and this other guy.. sometimes driver difference!) <p>Regardless, the AudiTT is VERY competitive in GStock if you ask me.. if they keep the 225HP in that class, it will DOMINATE - but I am sure they will bump the 225HP version elsewhere..<p>The car felt VERY solid and strong... perfectly balanced, with very little body roll or traction loss... perfect and smooth..<p>I ran about 44psi front and 34psi rear tire pressures, so ya know.... I noticed minimal or no roll-over... ciao babe!<p>-Ari
Old 08-09-1999, 04:32 AM
Robert Fogt

Default Re: Has anyone done an AutoX in a TT, or seen one yet?

I've been active in the local (Mpls./St.Paul) autocross scene for about ten years, all of that time spend in small FWD cars competing in D Street Prepared. This has always been a great class here, with a handful of cars competing VERY closely for the top few positions. I'm also our club's novice chairperson, with a great interest in helping beginners to get started in autocross. So please, anyone who's interested in the sport, feel free to post here or e-mail me privately; I won't have all the answers, but I'm certainly happy to help.<p>Yes, SCCA classes the 180FWD TT in G stock, where it seems that it will be fairly competitive. But much more important than the hp:weight ratio is its superb handling. It has much less understeer than any other stock FWD I've driven, and much less body roll than other cars in its class. Pat Washburn, a national caliber D stock competitor, watched my first runs, and told me that he's never seen a stock vehicle in that class go around the corners so flat! <p>I've only been to one event with the TT thus far, a Corvette Club event that was hosted at the local Air National Guard taxiway on some very grippy concrete. I was on street tires (G-Force TA/KD's in the stock 17" size), but decided to enter in normal G Stock where race tires are allowed.(I know it will take me a while to become competitive in a new car anyway, and I just wanted to see how it would hold up in it's normal - not street tire - class.) As it turned out, I was the only G stock car, and so got bumped to B stock, which also had only one entrant. The two of us were bumped to A stock where there were finally enough cars to make a class. (three required) At that point we were grouped with a couple of Corvettes, a couple of 911's, and a 2nd gen MR2 Turbo, most of which were on race tires. The TT placed third out of seven cars, due in part to it's superb manners, and in part (no doubt) to the fact that some of the A stock drivers just weren't that fast. Not a bad first outing, and I'm certainly looking forward to learning how to autocross this car. <p>An aside: We're very hard-pressed for autocross sites here, and the search for new venues is constant. To that end, whenever speaking with prospective site managers, we're always very careful to avoind the "R" word; We don't race, we autocross. Many people who are terrified to permit a "race" at their facility are receptive to the idea of allowing a low-speed driving skill event. This is just part of our campaign to erradicate use of the "R" word relative to autocross.<p>Sorry this has been so windy, but, damn, you got me going on autocross! <p>Bob
Old 08-09-1999, 07:34 PM
Robert Fogt

Default Re: Has anyone done an AutoX in a TT, or seen one yet?

Boy, not a lot of activity on this thread, is there?! Kind of makes me wish I had a notchy shifter!<br>Bob<p>
Old 08-09-1999, 08:33 PM
Mike Zamarocy

Default Bob- keep me posted on your next runs in the TT

I am interested to see how well it will do in GS! Out here in SoCal, one of the Type "R" drivers that gave Joe Goeke headaches is racing with us. So GS here is a VERY tough class. Of course that might change next year when they move the Integra into BS or AS.<p>By the way, I used to be Chicago Region many years ago.
Old 08-09-1999, 08:38 PM
Mike Zamarocy

Default Ari - tire pressures . . . .

I had a large discussion about that Sunday at my race (took 1st at last!) with a bunch of DSP Golf guys. Seems we might be doing it wrong (I too ran 44/34, wow!). It seems we might want to try 44 front, and 48 rear. Or maybe a bit wider - 38fr/48rr???