TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Has anyone takien their TT to the Car wash ** HELP **

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-1999, 06:55 AM
Craig

Default Has anyone takien their TT to the Car wash ** HELP **

The book clearly says the car wash will damage the wheel.... What the hell is this about....<p>I was not planning on hand washing my car every time... It gets cold here in the northeast....<p>We need some sort of wheel guards for car washing... What a concept.. <p>
Old 08-20-1999, 07:08 AM
Victor F

Default Re: Has anyone takien their TT to the Car wash ** HELP **

I certainly won't be when I get mine. I think you have two issues with a car wash.<br>One. I believe the wing mirrors do not fold?<br>Two. Car washes usually have tyre guide which may scrape the alloys.<p>Why not use a jet wash?<br>
Old 08-20-1999, 07:30 AM
Denny

Don't know if they are in your area, but in my area of CT we have numerous places called &quot;Splash&quot; -- they will hand wash your car (nt)
Old 08-20-1999, 07:44 AM
steve mikula

Besides the wheels gettting scratched up the antenna located on the roof could get damaged, and dent the roof and leak water into the car! It would be easier to have the car hand washed or with a "touchless" wash
Old 08-20-1999, 08:18 AM
Colin Golding

You should never put you car through a car wash. They always contain minute particles of dirt, which scratch metal.You should always hand wash your car or pay somebody else to it for you.
Old 08-20-1999, 08:19 AM
mne

Default the little rooftop antenna unscrews by hand... I never go thru a (soft-touch) wash without removing it (nt)

<br>x
Old 08-20-1999, 08:57 AM
bsm

Default If you are really particular about not getting any scatches, make sure you use a chamois to wash and dry. Towels can scratch. (nt)

nt
Old 08-20-1999, 09:40 AM
Bruce R.

Default Suggest you not use a chamois to dry. Chamois will pull the wax off, use an "Absorber"...

It's a synthetic chamois, that takes a little getting used to. See Trak Auto.
Old 08-20-1999, 09:53 AM
Denny

Yes, Zymol offers this type of chamois as well...worked great (nt)
Old 08-20-1999, 10:37 AM
Joe

Default AHHHHH!!! No!!!

Craig, don't do it!!! I've taken my SCX to a brushless car wash a couple times (Darien, Ct actually) and the paint is -horribly- dull now. I am going to need to hand compound it or even re-clearcoat to get the luster back. Plus you never know how harsh the soap they are using will be--and it seems to always strip the wax off.<p>I've sworn I'd freeze my knuckles off rather than subject either the SCX (and definitely the TT, once I get it) to that punishment. From now on, my cars will be hand washed with the mildest soap and the softest towels. Its worth the effort and inconvenience.

Quick Reply: Has anyone takien their TT to the Car wash ** HELP **