TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Has anyone tried to get power from the map lights?.. like for a radar detector.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2001, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sure and here's how to go about it........

Pancho,
The way you chose is by far the fastest and easiest way to connect the detector of your choice to the TT.

Remove the center map light by using a small screwdriver to get under the 2 metal clips at the FRONT EDGE of the mirror, depress them and the mirror comes right out in your hand.

You will see that the light has a multiplug going into it at the rear, just pull that out while you work. Using a voltmeter or a 12v test lamp find the hot wire in the bunch ( I think its red and green or red and black ) its on the left side of the multiplug: the side opposite the BROWN ground wire.

If you have had your light ON for over 40 minutes or so all power to that connector will be gone, so if you can't find the hot wire, simply close the doors and reopen them, or turn the key ON momentarily to re energize the wire.Its easy to pass the wire to the front windshield between the headliner and the roof to feed the detector.. DO THIS FIRST SO YOU DON'T FORGET IT!!

I used 2 connectors that wrap around the existing wires in the harness, to make my connections. All you do is place them over the existing wire, add your radar detector wire along side and crimp it with a pliers. You will need to make 2 connections, one to the hot wire and one to the BROWN ground wire.

There is also enough room where the dome light fits to allow you to use a FUSED CONNECTION, in fact its really wise to have a fuse on the GROUND side too if you want to do it.

After testing the unit for power ( don't forget to plug the light back in! ) I wrapped all the wires & fuses with foam tape so they won't rattle, then replaced the light into the headliner!

The whole job should only take about 30 minutes. What I like about this install is that even if you fail to turn off the detector, the car will do it for you after about 40 minutes or so. There is no need to ever use the switch on the detector unless you want to. Just let it ON and the car will shut it off for you.

If Audi had made a switched wire ( one that comes on and off with the ignition ) accessable I would have used that first, but rather than fool around tearing everything apart to get a one of those wires, I chose the method you asked about. It works fine for my Valentine One.

Good Luck!

PS Sorry I don't have the right color code for the HOT Wire in the bundle, its been a while since I did mine and I hate to disturb it to look at the multiplug! I think the hot one is the second from the left side of the plug, if you are holding it so the BROWN ground wire is on the right side.