TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Has anyone's dealer mentioned exactly how the Bose system's fader can be activated?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2000, 01:25 PM
Joe

Default Has anyone's dealer mentioned exactly how the Bose system's fader can be activated?

My dealership gave me an update (they have made progress with some of the issues), but they don't know how to activate the fader on the Bose stereo.

Apparently there are a handful of dealerships that were able to do this, but no one else seems to know how. Does anyone on the forum know more about this?

Thanks!
Old 02-16-2000, 01:37 PM
LarryTT

Default Joe, this is NOT possible!

Besides, why do you want the fader to be adjusted to send more music to the rear speakers which are only for the mid-range?

Bose makes sure to disable all possible ways to actually fine-tune their installs. On the original Bose car stereos many years ago, they even had the treble and bass controls turned off. They felt that their computer dummies with microphones in each ear were better able to determine the optimal stereo settings.

Joe, this is one of the MAJOR issues I have with my Bose and is why i am ripping the entire thing out of my car at the end of the month. it is just not worth the hassle of be disappointed with the sound. I love the car too much to hate the stereo as much as I do.

If a dealership has "hacked" the radio, it will not be able to improve the sound quality if that is what you are after.

Joe, when will you be available to do another car comparison? I know you are leaving for SD Friday.

Larry
180TTQ Garrett, H&R Sport Springs
Old 02-16-2000, 02:25 PM
Roon

That and the + 6 BASS hack as well, anyone??
Old 02-16-2000, 02:35 PM
evan

Default Larry, what if...

a guy like me, who is ordering a no-bose TT, wants fader capability? I'm going to consider full range speakers in back, unless thats a really bad idea, so being able to fade a little might have a benefit. 'Course, I don't have my car yet, so its all in the research stage, but the current plan is to keep the head unit, add the 6-disc ($269) and add 6 nice speakers and a good amp.

So the Blaupunkt head unit (thats who makes the Audi Concert unit for those following at home) is PERMANANTLY fade disabled? There isn't some code to reprogram the puppy?

Anyone know?
Old 02-16-2000, 02:49 PM
PITT

Default Re: Joe, this is NOT possible!

Searching the Archives for "fader near bose" got 71 hits. Lots of discussion with definite implications that the fader CAN be enabled, TTigger's post for one. The Audi Technical Bulletin for installing the CD Changer for the TT has the coding 5 for "BOSE sound system for Audi TT (fader OFF for sound matching)". Perhaps there's a different number that enables the fader. My dealer called Audi Tech Support and they helpfully FAXed the manual page which has the footnote: "On the Audi TT with BOSE-SOUND-SYSTEM, FAD OFF will appear in the display. The Fade feature is then deaktivated [sic]". Would like to hear if anyone has been successful in having it done and the name/number of the dealership. Thanks.
Old 02-16-2000, 03:23 PM
PITT

Default A month ago BreTT said: Not true Larry. I know a fellow TT owner who had his fader enabled..

See: https://www.audiworld.com/forum/m/tt/35904.phtml
Is this myth and legend or had anyone really done it?
Old 02-16-2000, 03:34 PM
Joe

Default Re: Joe, this is NOT possible!

From what I've heard there is a way to enable the fader, and it did make an improvement to the sound. I believe it was BrenTT (BrenTT, are you still frequenting the forum?) who said he's seen a TT with it enabled, and someone else posted that his dealer somehow had done it for him. I believe the poster said the improvement was enough that he no longer felt so cheated by the option price.

Early March might be a good time to do a comparo. Maybe we'll be lucky and the weather will be better, also. Will you guys have done your exhausts by then?
Old 02-16-2000, 03:41 PM
LarryTT

Default update on the Borla Group buy . . .

I am ordering them on Friday and will know then when they should be in. We are hoping for getting them installed on Sat. March 11. But who knows with how Borla will ship them.

I will keep you posted. Maybe you will take a drive up and hang out for the day. We will have 5 TTQ's! I know of 3 colors as of now. Siler, Aviator Gray and my Brilliant Black. Joe, you can make it a 4th color with your Denim!

Larry
Old 02-16-2000, 03:46 PM
LarryTT

Default Re: Larry, what if...

Evan:

The Concert headunit is setup differently when you DON'T have the Bose option. The Fader IS enabled then. The problem is Bose does not like faders in their systems because they don't think that anyone can adjust a car stereo as well as their engineers can.

Go and put any speakers in your car that you want. What I was talking about with the rear speakers in the Bose equipped cars is the rears are NOT full range speakers. They are Mid-range speakers! Their is not much point in adjusting more sound to those. You would need to have full-range speakers for that to make much sense or much of a difference.

Larry
Old 02-16-2000, 04:05 PM
Cliff Melick

Default It is possible...

I have seen a TT in which the fader was active (albeit by mistake). This was in a TT equipped with the Bose option. The owner had the Concert head unit replaced, and the fader control was not deactivated. I have no idea if this improved the sound. But it is possible, contrary to your assertion.

Quick Reply: Has anyone's dealer mentioned exactly how the Bose system's fader can be activated?