TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Have you ever taken your TT up to about 75 mph and just slammed on the brakes?...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-1999, 10:22 PM
Brad Willis

Default Have you ever taken your TT up to about 75 mph and just slammed on the brakes?...

I did it tonight on a long and isolated cul-de-sac. Got the TT up to speed several times and stomped on the brake pedal. While I do believe that the TT can exhibit unexpected handling problems during at the limit driving, let me say that these brakes are fantastic. The car stops at such a short distance, it's almost awe inspiring. And the tires barely make a sound.

For me, the car tracked in a straight line, and I did it 4 times, although my results might be different on a curve at a high speed. If you haven't tried this, pick a very safe spot and give it a go. You'll be impressed.
Old 10-22-1999, 11:01 PM
Cliff Melick

Default Re: Have you ever taken your TT up to about 75 mph and just slammed on the brakes?...

Brad: At this point, I'm going to agree with you. I think we might be the only two people on the forum at this hour--and guess what--it's really late for me--do you want me to go out and try this now--I don't think I can. I think I will trust you. I'm just not up to driving at this hour. But, somehow, I know you did this to test the limits. Sorry I ever doubted you,Your friend, Cliff
Old 10-22-1999, 11:50 PM
GO TT

Default Re: Have you ever taken your TT up to about 75 mph and just slammed on the brakes?...

Hey i'm still here and it's 2:45 where I live. I have experienced nothing that even remotely resembles instability. Greg
Old 10-23-1999, 05:08 AM
Paul Ward

Agree!!!!!!!!!!very neutral, no flex, simply an amazing car. TTs rule. (nt)
Old 10-23-1999, 07:44 AM
John TT

Default Brad, hope you had a good story in case the CHiPs dropped by>

"Well, you see officer, there are these rumours going around that this car can be very unstable and spin out if you brake hard at very high speeds, and I was just seeing if there was any truth to the rumours..."

Its obviously bothering you a lot, so good for you, get it out!!

Next Friday night, though, why don't you try taking a girl down the isolated cul-de-sac and see if you can make her break. Try it four times and let us know how useful the back seat is!!

Just ribbin' ya, Brad - absolutely no offense intended. I can never resist taking a swing at a hanger.

John TT
Old 10-23-1999, 10:04 AM
GO TT

Default Tried it this morning twice(more)

She stopped like a freakin champ. Again, nothing remotely resembling instability. Just pure stopping power not unlike my 360 Modena.(yeah right)
Old 10-23-1999, 02:44 PM
Curious

Default Is your TT Q or FWD? (nt)

:
Old 10-23-1999, 03:27 PM
Marius B

Tried it several times in heavy rain today, with and without ABS working, not a twitch! (nt)
Old 10-23-1999, 04:23 PM
GO TT

Tis' a QuaTTro my friend. (nt)
Old 10-23-1999, 05:42 PM
Curious no longer

Default Glad to hear it! (nt)

:

Quick Reply: Have you ever taken your TT up to about 75 mph and just slammed on the brakes?...