TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Having 2 TTs puts me in a unique position...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2000, 08:15 PM
Eighth Member of AudiWorld. God-like, glorious and all-knowing.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Having 2 TTs puts me in a unique position...

Most of you know that I took delivery of my 2001 225Q roadster yesterday. This roadster is equipped with the controversial new spoiler and suspension modifications. My unmodified and "unspoiled" 180 FWD coupe is also still in my possession, and will be for a short while longer.

Today, I drove both TTs back-to-back several times over the same route in an attempt to determine how the mods affect the cars' handling characteristics.

The modifications have increased the amount of steering wheel travel necessary to move the car. When I rapidly move the modified roadster's steering wheel back and forth, the car barely sways from side to side. Moving the wheel in the same manner on the unmodified coupe, jars the TT quite a bit. So I'm saying that I feel the mods have taken away some (but certainly far from all) of that fun, "go-kart-like" handling.

The mods also have also introduced some understeer. So the car now provides greater feedback to the driver as the TT's limits are approached. The modified TT also feels more stable and manageable at higher speeds.

So am I saying that the modified TT isn't a lot of fun to drive? No, I'm not saying that at all. It is still a real kick and if you have any fear that the changes will cause the TT to handle like a sedan, then I am happy to report that your concerns are unfounded. Still, I do prefer the older "Mark I" suspension, and I would have chosen that over the newer configuration if I had the option to do so.

Understand that these comments refer only to the suspension modifications, and not to the rest of the respective cars. The 225Q is a far more imposing and impressive sports car than my 180 FWD, in my opinion. I'm not saying that the "Mark II" isn't safer, and you will probably do quicker lap times with it, but the "Mark I" suspension is just a little bit more fun to drive.
Old 04-02-2000, 09:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Probably the only guy in the country/world who can say that.

Thanks for the comparison, pretty much as we expected. Those of us who like the twisties and have lil opportunity for the really high speeds will probably be happiest declining the mods.
Old 04-02-2000, 09:24 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default We will have a modified 225Q and a no-mods 180Q as of Thursday (more)

Unlike Brade, both are quattros, so I'll do a comparo of the 225Q (modified) and 180Q (no mods) on handling and, of course, power, before the 225Q is dropped off for its three months at the tuner.
Old 04-02-2000, 09:27 PM

Default Re: We will have a modified 225Q and a no-mods 180Q as of Thursday (more)

Please include a list of the mods that you did to your 225Q. Many including myself are very interested since you are probably one of the first to modify a 225Q.
Thanks.
Old 04-02-2000, 09:36 PM
Eighth Member of AudiWorld. God-like, glorious and all-knowing.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Probably the only guy in the country/world who can say that.

Even though my 225Q is bitchin', if I was in a position to keep the 180 FWD, I would decline the mods. BTW, I now have a name for my new 225Q. It is "The Gray Avenger". The name has 2 meanings:

1. I am hopeful that this car will avenge the many problems that I had with my 180 FWD coupe and restore my faith in Audi and...

2. I will avenge the 180 hp TTs that have been beaten by Maximas, Boxsters, and such at traffic light sprints. Damn, this car seems fast. And I haven't completely let it loose yet either. It will be interesting to see if this car is really as fast as I think that it is.
Old 04-02-2000, 10:23 PM

So, ESP or not on this car Brad ?
Old 04-03-2000, 03:15 AM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks for the comparison Brad. -- or should I say Stead.. (more)

It's more clear than ever now that I'll not take the mods for my 180FWD. I don't go over 90 very often, and I do lots of backwoods CT driving. So, I'm going to keep the current set up. Your observations have been extremely helpful with this decision. Emma Peel
Old 04-03-2000, 04:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brad, could you please give us more information..

concerning the differences between the 180 and 225? I would like to hear details about the differences in engine character, such as turbo lag, relative power bands, revs at which the turbo spools up. Is the 225 engine peakier or does it fill "fatter," bigger, or the same, etc.?

How different are the engines in regular "going to the grocery store" driving? What about performance in top gear passing? Do they sound the same? Does the K04 "whistle," or sound different than the K03?

Thanks in advance, Brad.

-EJS
Old 04-03-2000, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Having 2 TTs puts me in a unique position...

Hey Brad-
Could you please please please post some more pictures???? Waiting for the exact same car, due in June sometime.
Thanks.
Dave
Old 04-03-2000, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I bet it will be as fast as you think it is. JIM

Quick Reply: Having 2 TTs puts me in a unique position...