TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Heel and Toe

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2001, 12:59 PM
Yah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heel and Toe

Anyone knows any brand of pedal could do the ''heel and toe'' on the TT, or any other way to do it ?? THanks
Old 07-17-2001, 01:25 PM
Elder Member

Default The pedals are just fine for heel-tie, it is a matter of knowing how to do it . . .

All heel-toe means is you are using the right foot for breaking while also being able to blip the throttle. You do not need to be able to touch the throttle until the brake is applied.

The principal is this:

Use the ball of your right foot on the brake pedal, this means basically the first two toes on your right foot. The rest of your foot will hang off towards the throttle pedal. As you depress the brake pedal the outside of your right foot will come in contact with the throttle pedal, if it barely reaches then that is when you will roll your ankle towards the right and blip the throttle. It sounds painful, but is not.

The reason you need to have your foot partway on the brake and partway on the throttle is heel-toe is used in down-shifts. To down-shift also means you are slowing the car down and that requires brakes

Does that make sense?

If you say that your foot is too small then you are not positioning your foot properly. Since the ball of your foot is the strongest part of the foot so far as being able to apply pressure, there is not need to put much more of your foot on the brake pedal than what I have described. The effort to press the throttle is very small and the outside part of your foot can more than easily accomplish this.

Just remember the "heel" of your foot does not get used. People do get confused by that.

If you have more questions, ask away.
Old 07-17-2001, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto.
Old 07-17-2001, 01:36 PM
Elder Member

Default Ouch!!! Do you have to be double-jointed or a circus freak? Technique only used in downshift w/...

intent to slowdown??? Not when downshifting to pass or accelerate, right? Doesn't the heel get used in the sense that it "can" act as a pivot point???
Old 07-17-2001, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm obviously doing something wrong because my ankle just doesn't bend right to do this. :)

Next time I'm at an event, someone should show me how to do this because I think it would be a great technique to be able to use.
Old 07-17-2001, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I do this everytime I downshift and it saved me a few times....

What I mean by saved is when a car with better brakes than you decides to emergency brake, your most likely you will become his rear end.

Toe and heel is very simple, but what I have found is it is much easier if your barefoot(or if you have socks its cool too).

I use my first 2 toes on the brakes, and sit them pretty high on the pedal, and then use the force to push down the brake to then blip the gas. It seems to work good with me.

You guys try it. If anyone want a demo, just ask me at one any of the Seattle TT meets.
Old 07-17-2001, 02:15 PM
Elder Member

Default If you want to downshift for passing no need to heel-toe . . .

the heel-toe is ONLY used for applying the brakes then rev matching using the throttle.

If you want to down shift to pass someone, then blip the throttle to match the proper rpm before releasing the clutch.

We would be talking about two different types of shifting and two different reasons for going into a lower gear. Both rpm match, but for different reasons.

Generally a heel-toe on a race track is used to settle the car for a turn and to be in the "proper" gear as you accellerate out of the turn. The correct way to enter a turn on a track is to perform ALL of your braking BEFORE turning the wheel. That means you brake in a straight line. Then you shift into the lower gear that is required in order for you to accellerate OUT of the turn, in our case under maximum boost, NOT maximum rpm. Again that is two different things.

If you really wanted to get technical a proper downshift will also have a pause in neutral before going into the lower gear. This should be seamless and even a passenger should not notice you have paused. You would need to depress and release the clutch twice to accomplish this. That is how I drive everyday. Ask Mike(blueshirTT), he was VERY surprised at how smooth I was able to perform this. I have since shown him how to heel-toe and he does it all of the time and gets better each day.

Any other questions?
Old 07-17-2001, 02:41 PM
Elder Member

Righto, I think I get, I do want a demo, though, just to be sure... $hit my quesadilla is on fire!!!
Old 07-17-2001, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Last thing mentioned is double clutching, correct? Heel-toe and double clutching at the same time?
Old 07-17-2001, 02:59 PM

Default I posted a description a while ago.(can't find it now :( ...&

also you probably don't want to try and bend the ankle so much as rock your knee towards the right. This is why it's hard in the car...for those of us with smaller feet the amount of rockover causes us to come into the aluminum brace on the tranny tunnel....still haven't managed to get around to looking at moving the accel pedal over left a bit.
FYI, in gym shoes I can do it darn easy, deck shoes requires much more precision...real driving shoes would be even more precision as they're only as wide as your foot.
-Dale

Quick Reply: Heel and Toe