TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Heel and Toe

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2001, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks Larry. Clear and lucid. It turns out that I do a lot of that stuff by instinct but I'm sure

that conscious practice will make me a much better driver. I want some time on the track and some time with a pro. My Xmas wish (hope my wife is reading this;-p)
Old 07-17-2001, 03:21 PM
Elder Member

Default Quesadilla recovered & yummy - now - I think I need to see this process in action, to be sure I...

understand - you're braking into a turn, as you depress the brake the throttle is engagaed at some point (rev matching???) you shift into the lower gear as you accelerate out of the turn? Is the clutch depressed at all in this technique?

You referred to the other technique (clutch pause clutch) to downshift as a "technical proper" downshift... what do you mean by this??? What advantage to the double depression?

Sorry - for so many questions, but I feel like I should be the best possible driver I can, to appease The Raven(ous) One, and all... Seems a shame to have such a fine car and not fully utilize it!!!
Old 07-17-2001, 05:08 PM
Elder Member

Default I actually rest my lower leg against the metal brace all of the time . . .

so that is not a problem for me.

In sneakers it is a piece of cake. Barefoot it is a piece of cake. Tonight I was wearing an old pair of topsiders and the sole was very slippery so I had trouble, but once I got used to it I was just fine.

I actually don't rock my leg, I use my ankle. I can't use my leg or hip as it is a problem for me. Much easier to use the ankle. It is not being rocked that much, very little actually.
Old 07-17-2001, 05:20 PM

Default Don't forget about trail braking, Larry. That can also be a fast way around a corner

braking continues past turn in.
Old 07-17-2001, 05:23 PM

I agree. I heel-and-toe all the time, particularly on track. The TT pedals are just right.
Old 07-17-2001, 05:27 PM
Elder Member

Default This is really not that simple to describe, but I will give it a shot . . .

keep in mind that driving on the street and on the track are two different things. The speed at which you react is much faster on a race track. By race track I am NOT talking auto-x.

Let me get auto-x out of the way first since I just mentioned it. lol In an auto-x at the local level you will rarely if ever see 3rd gear, so you should not have to worry about doing anything beyond shifting from 1st to 2nd within the first 100 feet of the start. Last year at the Nationals I shifted into 3rd gear twice on one course and once on the other course. Both times required a doenshift back to 2nd gear. But on a local level most places events are held don't have the room to allow a TT to get to 3rd gear. That means you will be going beyond 57mph.

Now on a race track. Imagine you are heading down the main straight at 115mph heading into turn one. You know you can't take that 3rd gear turn in 4th(180) or 5th(225) so you know you will need to downshift and ALSO slow down. The turn can be taken not only safely but fast in 3rd at 75mph. What do you do? Let me describe two ways to take this turn:

1. How most people would take that turn:

Lift right foot off gas to move to the brake pedal. Apply brakes and continue applying brakes as you slow from 115mph to 60-65mph and at the same time you are braking depress the clutch and slide the shifter into the next lower gear WITHOUT releasing the clutch, then sliding the shifter into 3rd. You are now midway through the turn and you release the clutch and remove your right foot from the brake pedal and mash it down on the throttle. The turbo now needs to take time to spool up and you will slowly begin to get your speed back.

2. The proper way to enter turn one:

You are travelling at 115mph, You keep the throttle mashed and begin to get ready to press the brake pedal. You will lift your foot from the brake pedal and move it half way onto the brake and throttle pedals. You will press the brake with the ball of your right foot, while at the same time you will press the clutch with your left foot and pop the car into neutral. When the car is in neutral for a split second you will at the SAME time blip the throttle. Once the engine revs to a "higher" rpm, you will depress the clutch, shift into the CORRECT gear for the turn, in our example 3rd gear, blip the throttle again, release the clutch and finish your braking. Once you have finished your braking (ALWAYS in a STRAIGHT line), remove your foot from the brake pedal by SLIDING it onto the throttle. Since you are finished with ALL of your gear changes and braking, you can now 100% concentrate on steering the car through the turn, hitting your 3 marks for that turn, turn in, apex and turn out. You will be able to carry MUCH greater speed not only into the turn, but even more speed OUT of the turn. The greater speed will not only be greater, but you will actually have the car under CONTROL. You will not be having your feet dance all over the place and you will not be thinking about what gear am I in, should I shift now, clutch in or not. You will concentrate on steering the car, that is all!

Does that make sense? Like I said it is much easier to show someone than to describe it to someone. I have instructed in the past and am more than willing to show someone heel-toe or double clutching or anything else. to me they all go hand in hand.
Old 07-17-2001, 05:28 PM
Elder Member

I know, but don't want to totally confuse the issue! lol
Old 07-17-2001, 05:36 PM
Elder Member

read my reply to rTTexas below
Old 07-17-2001, 05:39 PM
Elder Member

Default ExcellenTT explanation - Thanks Larry!!! Now, I just need to find a way to try this...

I didn't dare on the way to the video store just now.... Maybe tomorrow on the way to the vet. - hang on Henri!!!

Just kidding ;-)!!! I'm pretty sure I've got it conceptually, but I'll wait 'til I've had a demo. or two (dozen) and try it in safe quarters. I imagine, with enough, practice it just becomes a natural movement...

Thanks again - excellent write-up.
Old 07-17-2001, 05:51 PM
Elder Member

Default The best way to practice . . .

Sit in your driveway with the car OFF. Just practice shifting. Trying to see how fast you can depress the clutch. The other thing that is VERY important is knowing where in the clutch travel that your clutch disengages and you are now in gear. In my car I do not have to press the clutch fully to the floor to be able to shift gears. Can I tell you how many inches from the floor that point is? No, I know it by feel and know it based on what position my leg is in.

Once you are able to upshift and downshift by double clutching seamlessly sitting still and not missing a shift, then go for a slow ride either on your block or an empty parking lot.

Get the car into 3rd gear while you are doing about 15mph. This speed is slow enough where you won't kill anyone if you hit them while practicing with your other pedals! lol

What you want to be able to do is the following:

Right hand on stick shift. left foot poised over clutch, right foot on throttle. car is in 3rd gear.

Depress the clutch, pop gear into neutral, blip throttle then release clutch. Depress clutch, pop gear into 2nd, blip throttle and release clutch. you should be able to drive away without bogging the engine down.

If you bog the engine then you did not have the rpm's high enough for 2nd gear.

Now, don't blip the throttle to the point where you are at 6,000rpm when you let the clutch out, that will also not be good. It is a feel that you need to build up to. This takes practice and does not come magically the first time you try it.

Once you get 3rd to 2nd down relatively ok, then try it at a faster speed.

I am not saying to go from 2nd to 1st for a very good reason. The speeds are so slow to be able to shift properly into 1st it is not worth chance to screw something up in the tranny. You need to be travelling below 15mph and generally under 10mph to be able to shift into 1st gear without causing damage to the synchros. I only do that to come to a complete stop.

Let me know how it works out.

Quick Reply: Heel and Toe