TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Heel/Toe

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 04:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heel/Toe

I've been working on my heel/toe braking and downshifting recently, but can only manage to use the outside ball of my brake foot to "blip" the throttle (more like hold it for a sec due to poor throttle response in the TT.)

Couple questions:

1) There doesn't seem to be enough room under the steerting column and in the foot box to do proper heel/toe. I have 10.5 size feet - anyone have any advice? What about replacing the pedals with ones with the tab on the throttle? Anyone done this in a way that actually works and looks as good as stock?

2) If I could change 1 thing about the TT's performance it would be the throttle response. I've heard that chipping (it's stock at present) will help with this. A lighter flywheel should help as well. Intake? Exhaust? Any other things to think about? Where to start?
Old 02-13-2004, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default chip for sure... lighter flywheel would also help

Chip is by far the most incredible upgrade for our cars. I have an APR I was THINKING about getting rid of, since I want to go Stage III- custom kit I believe soon, which will force me to either use APR's Stage III chip OR Revo. Since I see you have a 2000 Audi TT Quattro the chip might be for you also- since I have the same car. The chip is mounted to a seperate ECU- and has all of APRs programs except 100 octaine. Also the chip itself was upgraded last year with the latest 92 octaine and a brand new physical chip- so the box is completly up to date. Just a thought... if nothing else I can help you find something right up your alley
Old 02-13-2004, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default your baby is dbw

drive by wire which means, in this case, that if you have your foot on the brake for more than a second or so, the throttle will not operate as you expect. Try it sometime in a safe place - drive a nice moderate speed, gently place your left foot on the brake and try to accelerate; you should see you can't or even that the car will slow down ("how could you possibly want to stop and go at the same time" says the AoA software)

so aside from the not-quite-perfect pedal placement, you got software against you. Maybe some tuners are changing that but I'd be surprised; it's probably some safety thing for ABS or something...
Old 02-13-2004, 05:34 AM

Default Re: Heel/Toe

Try toe/heel. It feels wierd, but it is easier to give the proper stab to the throttle.

The response from the engine seems a bit tardy partly due to the above comments, but also because the turbo is falling off. Racers tend to do less "rev matching" these days, but street drivers want their synchros to last a bit longer. You may want to just relax a bit more.
Old 02-13-2004, 05:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Julie is absolutely correct ^^^^^^^
Old 02-13-2004, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

If you want heel/toe ecstasy...buy a Porsche ...I have always found it challenging in the TT
Old 02-13-2004, 06:36 AM

Ditto..
Old 02-13-2004, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I agree. My 99 Miata was perfect, this is "vague" to say the least...

I'd rather have a good ol' throttle cable and spring tension to adjust
fig
Old 02-13-2004, 08:06 AM

Default It takes 3 seconds...

before the throttle gets the slammer when using gas and brake at the same time. So far, I've not had to hold it down THAT long to match revs

What I had read was that this was a "safety" feature for when people mean to only hit the brake, but accidentally hit gas too. It only happens on 1.8T's. Some rally guys know a way to disable (fuse I think?) so's they can get sideways with their FWD Golfs...

I'm talking about that .1-.3 second (guessing here) lag when I hit the throttle. Do our cars need a CPU upgrade?

PS> I was thinking that one way to handle this would be to have a "blip" button on the shifter. No need for heel/toe if you can push a button and it is drive by wire after all Just another one of my goofy ergonomics ideas...
Old 02-13-2004, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Rally guys use the handbrake to get sideways, don't they?

Quick Reply: Heel/Toe