TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

HELLO from China! - Its 17:51 right now.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2001, 01:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELLO from China! - Its 17:51 right now.

Well, its been a while since anyone has heard from me, so I'll explain where I have been and what I have seen.

Previously, I only been to Shanghai never really done much of anything but meetings and work.

This time, I'm in our Wuxi plant, and have the privilege to drive around and see the sights! I have photo's which are not yet developed. But I thought I give you guys/gals an overview of the driving style.

People are CRAZY. And thats putting it lightly. I have never seen so much Chaos on the road. People are driving on the opposite side of the road, on a one way. Cars driving in imaginary lanes, which looks like sidewalks to me. People here have abolutely no manners and drive as they are the only people on the road and the others are just targets to avoid hitting. People use their horns like its there brakes. Every single intersection, they need to horn, to warn people they are are about to cross. It is the norm. I can hardly sleep at night because people are not considerate. Trunks, cars, motorcycles, bicycles are ringing, honking constantly even at 3:00AM.

With all this chaos going on, there is also alot of accidents happening. During the time I was here, one of our workers got hit by a car. The guy threw 600 dollars(China money, less than 80 dollars USD) on her and drove off. Just last week, one of our computer techs, girlfriend got run over and the guy just left. We finally found the guy at his cousin's house, completely **** drunk. We made him cough up 200,000 in china money(exchange rate is 1:8.266).

Your probably thinking to yourself, "Why isn't the police doing anything about it?"
The police are driving the same way. Honking, driving on the sidewalk, driving on the opposite side of the road, cutting people off. And you think thats bad, the metro buses are doing it too. I almost got ran off the road by a metro bus the other day. He just cut me off and completely forgot he had a long bus and the tail of it almost took out my front.

The only thing I thought was good was that you can drive as fast as you want here. Most cars here can't go past 180KPH, but the ones who can do. You can only past on the left, just like the autobahn.

OK, now that you guys have a idea how it is on the road, your probably wondering whats on the road. There is essentially 2 cars on the road. The VW Santana(a larger passat) and the Audi 100(euro specs). There is a handful of other cars, but thats the majority of it. No TTs, but the only other Audi on the road is the A6 with a 2.4 V6 or the 1.8 non-turbo. Non-painted bumper of course. Most the the A6s I seen are keyed. All the good cars are keyed.

I'll need to develop these photos as soon as I can to show you how it is here. I have a picture of a minivan on the sidewalk and a few pictures of how many people are here.

If anyone is going to visit Shanghai, please do be careful. Good nite, or should I say, good morning.
Old 05-17-2001, 02:55 AM

Default Are you sure you are not in New York City? The important thing is do the women wear those wonderful

slit skirts like they do in Taiwan?
Old 05-17-2001, 04:56 AM
Ego

Default I was suprised that (more)

you were able to go to a guy's apartment who was **** drunk and make him cough up the equivalent of $25,000 US. I would think you would have had a much harder time getting that much money. Or was that a typo, should that have been 20,000 china, or 2,000?
Old 05-17-2001, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: HELLO from China! - Its 17:51 right now.

Hey, watch out they don't arrest you for spying or causing fighter planes to crash over there.....
Old 05-17-2001, 11:00 AM

Default Hey Jason, we missed you on the qclub drive. When will you be home?

There is a new member named Jason Cheng with an A6 2.7T. You'll enjoy meeting him.