TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

HELP!! coolant warning light going off. check coolant and its low..... I have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! coolant warning light going off. check coolant and its low..... I have a few questions

HELP!! coolant warning light going off. check coolant and its low...... in fact it is different everytime i check it. after a long drive it was right below the MIN line. after sitting for awhile (few hours) it was way below the MIN line, then after another long drive it is right above the MIN line. i have a few questions.

1. where do i get G12 coolant and how much is it.
2. where is my coolant going, why is it low. is this normal. i just had a coolant flush 5000 miles ago and it has been fine until now.
3. should i just top it off, and where do i fill it to. and do i do it when the engine is cold or warm?
3. is this a sign of a bigger problem?

car is a 2002 TT with 57000 miles

please help!!
Old 06-11-2006, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Fill it when the engine is cool, I would believe. I had a head gasket go on another.....

vehicle and the coolant would go down. Are you seeing any white smoke from the exhaust? That would be a sure sign of a bad head gasket. G12 is usually sold only by VW or Audi dealers, from what I have read or on line.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Got 2 bootles of G12 from purems.com for 18 bucks last October, not...

sure if they still carry it, though.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Top it up with water...>>

ie: up to the mid point of the bottle when cold. It's an expansion tank so the level will rise and fall dependent on the coolant fluid temps. Keep an eye on it. Probably no big deal.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:09 PM

Default isnt it a closed system. if so where is the coolant going? could it be related to the water pump?

isnt it a closed system. if so where is the coolant going? could it be related to the water pump?

i do not notice any white exaust smoke. plus car drives perfectly fine. i just dont want it to be anything major.

and if i top off with water....cant that freeze in the cold cleveland winters. its gets to 5 degrees here.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:11 PM

Default if i top off with water....cant that freeze in the cold cleveland winters. it gets to 5 degrees here

and if i top off with water....cant that freeze in the cold cleveland winters. itse gets to 5 degrees here.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default The level will go up and down with the temperature of the fluid. Hopefully after your fluid flush

you had some air in the system. That air could have been flushed out with fluid bringing the overall fluid level down. Per Steve's suggestion, fill with the addtion of enough water to bring you mid-point between min and max on a cold engine. This should be added to the fluid overflow reservoir (where the min/max level indicators are). Check the engine in the same condition (either hot or cold, cold at the start of the day would be easiest) over the next week or so to see if the fluid level (when checked at similar conditions) remains at a consistent level.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Huh? You got a mix now...>>

of Pentosin antifreeze and water. A few ounces of additional water is not going to upset the ratio or level of freeze protection...
Old 06-11-2006, 05:16 PM

Default just checking. if you say its ok ill have to belive you......

just checking. if you say its ok ill have to belive you. it looks like i could fit about 8-10 ounces of water in ther to get it to the right level.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Oh, You don't have to believe me.....

That's really up to you, but I have had 50+ cars, a good number of them water cooled, and this is no big deal...honest

Quick Reply: HELP!! coolant warning light going off. check coolant and its low..... I have a few questions