TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

HELP :D

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 08:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP :D

Ok, im installing a new headunit on my car, and due to having the bose system, I am having some difficulties. I have the old bose out, and i have what i thought, everything wired properly. Unfortunately, I dont have any sound when I turn the radio on. I tested it with a spare speaker, and that works fine. So the headunit is wired properly to power and switched voltage anyway.

I looked at the wiring diagram on my old radio and it has this on there.

Now the way Im reading it, on the bottom connection with the "lineout" section I am assuming that "RF" means "right front speaker", "LF" means "left front speaker" etc etc. Now I was confused to how to ground the speakers, and the "com" was a ground wire, so I grounded ALL of my speakers to that one wire, which doesnt make sense to me. Anyone have any clue what I did wrong and why its not working?
Old 12-18-2009, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Conventional speakers and Bose speakers are not the same, so testing with a conventional speaker is irrelevant .

A line out signal will not drive a conventional speaker however it will drive an amp or powered Bose speaker.

You need to connect the line outputs of your new stereo (usually phono outputs) to the wires in loom on Plug I .

There is a special second loom for this, in addition to the standard harness. The one with the RED socket is special for the Bose setup.

Check crutchfield :

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1207017...g-Harness.html

Someone else here is having the same problem within the last week, check his post also.

Last edited by AudiMick; 12-18-2009 at 10:03 AM.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AudiMick
Conventional speakers and Bose speakers are not the same, so testing with a conventional speaker is irrelevant .

A line out signal will not drive a conventional speaker however it will drive an amp or powered Bose speaker.

You need to connect the line outputs of your new stereo (usually phono outputs) to the wires in loom on Plug I .

There is a special second loom for this, in addition to the standard harness. The one with the RED socket is special for the Bose setup.

Check crutchfield :

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1207017...g-Harness.html

Someone else here is having the same problem within the last week, check his post also.

I was using both the bose speaker and pioneer from the aftermarket head unit sender, and it worked great.
the head unit is powered properly, but im not sending to the speakers through the harness. which wires specifically do i need to tap into? I did not buy a harness because I overestimated my abilities on this project.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If you are not using a loom buy four phonos from radio shack.

Connect the middle pin of the phono connector to RF,RR,LF,RR . Connect the outer shield of all the phonos to COM (Common ground).

You might also need a source of power to replicate the "remote switch on" also in the line-out connector.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AudiMick
If you are not using a loom buy four phonos from radio shack.

Connect the middle pin of the phono connector to RF,RR,LF,RR . Connect the outer shield of all the phonos to COM (Common ground).

You might also need a source of power to replicate the "remote switch on" also in the line-out connector.

im not understanding why i need rca inputs for this. why couldnt I just wire it in? if this is the case, i DID wire it correctly, but I cant use the harness? I have to go from the headunit directly via rca outputs?
Old 12-18-2009, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by haverty
I have to go from the headunit directly via rca outputs?
Just for the output to the Bose speakers.

Are you familiar of the differences between "line level" outputs and normal speaker outputs (8 ohm load).

Line level requires additional amplification (TTs Bose amplified speakers ????). Most aftermarket stereos seem to use RCA outputs for line level out.If your new stereo is more like the concert and outputs line level from a socket at the back then that's fine use that. Check your new stereo manual.

You haven't mentioned your new stereo model number so that's a mystery and I won't guess. I installed a Kenwood in my truck several weeks ago and that has RCA's. They are not there for decoration.

8 ohm Speaker output uses the amp inside the stereo.

Read about line out and understand the differences.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_level#Line_out

Last edited by AudiMick; 12-18-2009 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Added info about line out.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

haha. I did a quick test with the rca outs... and it seems im an idiot

At the end of the day, I am glad I partook this evolution. I learned a lot... still not done yet ugh. need a garage so I can see
Old 12-18-2009, 04:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

ok, so im being dumb again. I dont have an amplifier to use RCA outputs. I am trying to use the amp to power the speakers, not a seperate amplifier. (my car does not have an external amplifier for speakers).

What do i need to wire to use the head unit as the amplifier?