TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Help!! electronic woes....

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! electronic woes....

The guage cluster started behaving weird at autocross. First the generator light came on then the brakes light came on blinking along with the ABS light. The car seemed to be running pretty much ok except for a lumpy idle which seemed to go away when I stopped and started the car. I turned the car off and on a couple of times, and each time the generator light came on after a few minutes. The belts on the generator seemed ok (not torn). We even disconected the battery to try and reset everything. No cigar, the generator light came on again.When I hit the throtte the ESP light and the ABS lights came on. After letting the car sit for maybe 45 min and starting the car again no lights came on for a little while. I was driving on the highway. The generator light came on again. I can't remember if the ABS light came back on right away. The next thing that I noticed was that the speedo and the tach would would go to zero everytime I would hit the accelrator hard (with the air conditioning on). When I turned off the AC it wouldn't happen.Then the the tach and speedo would go to zero with the AC off and a jab of the throttle. Finally the radio ceased to operate and the tach and speedo stayed at zero. The ESP light and ABS light went on and off. The car then started going into limp mode whenever I got on the throttle a little. Finally the central computer display went blank. So any ideas? Is the car ok to drive the rest of the way home? (I am 25 miles or so from home at fellow TT'er Alibaba's house)
Old 05-29-2005, 06:57 PM

any takers?...anybody? Schwing et al?
Old 05-29-2005, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wooooo....Tough one....>

Initial thought was tensioner issues. Gen light and variance with AC on, but the cluster light show is a mystery unless caused by low voltage. Check the belt tension...That sould be easy enough. Go from there..
Old 05-29-2005, 07:04 PM

How's the battery? Electronic stuff doesn't like a low battery.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:18 PM

Default Can we read the battery voltage off the radio display?

alibaba thinks there is a feature where you can read some of the values of some of the sensors digitally on the radio.

Do you know where we can find information about that?

Thank you,
Nicholas
Old 05-29-2005, 07:32 PM

Default you can read the voltage at the AC compressor through the climate controls...

turn on climate control, hold down recirc button, push the vent up button, the display will change to 1C I think. use the plus to go to 20C and press recirc again. it will show the volts.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:48 PM

Default thanks- we read 12.4V in Ali's healthy TT and>>

9.3 on mine...battery definitely low. So it seems that maybe the generator is not working so well...
Old 05-29-2005, 07:56 PM

Default it's hard to tell about the tension...the car won't start now and voltage is low>>

it seems that the generator is not working or not tranfering voltage. What should we do now? If we jump the battery we will still have issues with no voltage to operate the car. Does this mean I need a tow? Any way to check tension better, (not much space in there)?
thanks
Old 05-29-2005, 08:17 PM

ideas anyone? if I don't hear anything I guess I'll be using AAA ....
Old 05-30-2005, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

9.3 would be completely dead...

Quick Reply: Help!! electronic woes....