TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Help with fault code please

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with fault code please

Last night, the CEL came on in my TT. I had backed out of my driveway and was heading down the road when this lit. I was not pushing it hard or in any manner doing any kind of spirited driving.

This morning I went to AutoZone to have them do an ODB check on it. The code came back as "16795 - Secondary air injection system fault." Here is the kicker, even with the CEL on; today I was able to push 22lbs of boost. I was under the impression that a CEL would cut boost to no more than 5lbs.

So my first question would be, could something trigger the CEL (a hiccup) but then go back to normal and the light stay on? Secondly, is a reset the only way to dismiss the light? And last, if I disconnect the battery to reset the CEL, will my ECU need to remap the 4 bar FPR?

Any ideas as to what to look for with this code or what to repair?

TIA

Dave
Old 08-18-2007, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default first question >

1. Yes, a hiccup can trigger it and yes it can 'go back to normal'.

2. No - if it's just a hiccup, it will go off after three 'cycles': full warmup, full cool-down. No need to disconnect the battery.

Btw - airc, that code is related to a bad MAF - but I might be incorrect, so don't just go out and replace it until someone else weighs in and confirms.

Next, a 'flashing' CEL will cut boost, not one like you have.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I had that code... it has to do with the air pump (black plastic) that hangs

off the front of the engine. On cold starts, it runs to force oxygen into the exhaust manifold, targeting the catalytic converter. More ox combined with engine's exhaust "lights off" the catalytic reaction quicker. This satisfies the "drive away" spec for clean air. The pump shuts off once the cat is hot.

The code has no effect on power.

Mine was the pump itself. A new one fixed it. There's an underhood "controller" that's gone bad on some cars too.

Bottom line: you can live with this for awhile, but eventually you'll have to dignose it and swap out the bad part. If you live where smog checks are required, especially...
Old 08-18-2007, 10:50 AM

Default Re: first question >

Thank you for the information. I did not realize that there's a flashing CEL and a steady CEL. Also, I will wait to see if others concur that this may be a MAF.

Regards,
Dave
Old 08-18-2007, 10:58 AM

Default So this controller must be some sorts of a relay?...

Any idea as to where this relay would be located? Is there any way to check the pump to determine if it is faulty?
Old 08-18-2007, 11:31 AM

Default Mine goes off every 800 miles on the nose. It started when I put in my Schwing upgrades (namely the

4-bar). I just clear it and go back to business as usual. Unless you start to hear a god-awful screech coming out of the front/bottom of the car, you are fine
Old 08-18-2007, 01:33 PM

Default I have also have Modshack Stage III...>>

with about 800 miles from stage II to III install. I can hear the pump run when I start from cold so it seems that it is working. Should I pull the battery wires to clear it? How do you cancel out your CEL?

Oops...just noticed you indicated with your 4 bar install you tripped your CEL. My Schwingnization of the 4 bar has been working with no problems and has well over 2000 miles since install. Maybe it is just catching up, but I don't think that is the problem.

I just want to make sure all is good for the run to Charleston in a few weeks.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default like a relay, but a black box... I believe all solid state... near the power steering

reservoir.

The pumps have two problems:
the bearings wear out and you get siren type noise during cold starts, with reduced output I guess. That's what mine did...

The pump and motor assembly is held together by several long screws, or pop rivet like fasteners... there's evidently two types. They come loose, things get missaligned, and you get the same result as above. Some have replaced these fasteners to good effect.

Also consider all the hoses. got leaks?

All of the wiring, hose diagrams, and pictures have been posted... try a search for lots more good info...

Good Luck!!
Old 08-18-2007, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default limp modes change boost - CELs don't necessarily..... I've been stage 3 from the Shack

since my first TT had 40k or so on it.... having put 150k or more on 2 TTs in that time with his gear installed in both the entire time, I wouldn't blame any of Steve's stuff for any abnormalities..... you might have a faulty DV or your secondary air pump is on it's way out.... you can get a CEL from not having the gas cap on the right way BTW. CELs also have a tendency to clear themselves out after a bit or you can disconnect the battery and do it that way....
Old 08-18-2007, 04:16 PM

Default I couldn't imagine it being that equipment as...

to many people are running Steve's stuff. Plus, this is in a different part of the system and I have not had any kind of CEL's before this. I am kind of guessing the pump is on its way out.

I think that I will replace it just so there are no problems on my way down South. Looks like they are about $200.00.

Quick Reply: Help with fault code please