TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

HELP! - TT in shop getting FK Coilovers installed...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why don't you drive it first?

I mean, I don't think your car will dangerously swerve out of control. It's already installed, so you might as well test drive it first before drawing conclusions based on how it looks. FK uses the same type of rear springs (minibloc? as FK says) as H&R, PSS-9, and Neuspeed. Yes, it looks different from KW and Eibach rear springs, but it's just a different design. Chances are, you won't even know the springs look that way from the drivers seat.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:35 AM

Default You're right. A spring, in full compression, ceases to be a spring and becomes...

...<font color="003366"> a segmented cylinder. Unless the coil in the picture is not, in fact, fully compressed.

But it sure as s#!t looks like it from that picture.</font>
Old 08-25-2004, 08:57 AM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default That's how my Bilstein PSS's looked in the rear. Bilstein said the center

smaller coil plays hide-n-seek within the larger coils. i refused to believe it. I replaced it with KW springs and the ride was 10 times better. Wasn't really the Bilstein shocks...just the rear springs...totally collapsed like yours.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I did just that at lunch. The ride was surprisingly good...

It was more taught than the original suspension, but not rigid ride like I thought it would be.
I took the car through some pretty rough/pitted downtown streets with bridge road seams and it absorbed the bumps as well as I would have expected. Granted I was going &lt;45 mph on city streets, but it seemed okay.

I went ahead and had the TT corner-balanced and the final drop heights from the wheel well lip to the ground will be:

Fronts: 25.375" to 25.5" (.75" to 1" drop from factory)
Rears: 25.75" to 25.875" (.75" to 1" drop from factory height)

Damn did it look good. I'll have pics later..
Old 08-25-2004, 09:22 AM

Default ok . here is my input .. ive had 5 suspensions for my tt in one year .. i know this **** better then

the bloody companies.. ok that spring is crap .. total crap . ya its the same one that hr uses and bilstein uses .but... last year h&amp;r and bilst. changed the rear design. the brought out a rear spring that looks more like the KW . not as good a little thinner but still same idea. that spring you got is soo cheaply made it will just give you more problems .. in time. from riding the spring with bind coils and strip the powdercoat off. then causing it to rust.. and then the springs will eventually snap. . i know cuz i had it almost happen to me... and same with a friend. . and its never in snow . also it does NOT i repeat NOT matter if you have a 3.2 or a 1.8t the suspensions are the exact same.. if its a quattro. its a quattro .. if you have a fwd then its a diff spring but you can get any tt quattro suspension for any quattro . i just dont think that on the 3.2 you should lower it as much because of the tranny .. might scrape ..so i would check that out before u keep it that low especially on a 3.2 im currently running kw .and i dont love em .. but they are better than lots of crap out there
Old 08-25-2004, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Not good.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default KW has a specific application for the 3.2

they have a Variant 3 version. But the difference may only be spring rates.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

What FK did for me was take the R32 springs and put them on the front TT coilovers.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:24 AM

Default What is causing the suspension to load up?

I see the car isn't on the ground. Is there a jack underneath that one axle? I think there are a lot of variables not being considered here. With all 4 wheels on the ground, after it's been driven a bit to ensure all is at equilibrium, are the rears fully compressed?

If so, I agree with Jim. A spring in fully compressed state no longer is a spring. Might as well replace it with a cylindrical collar.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:31 AM
Elder Member

Default i'd cancel the order...

any binding of the coils gives a harsh ride. My bilstein PSS's did that and I wasn't happy with the ride quality. i first just swapped out the rear springs with KW springs and the ride was excellent. I simply had to swap out the suspension as it became difficult to drive around any rough or uneven pavement. With my KW's, its no problems at all.

oh, and don't believe what FK says...Bilstein used to say the same thing...that the coils were fine, nothing wrong with them...till they were Bilstein Blue in the face.

Quick Reply: HELP! - TT in shop getting FK Coilovers installed...