TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Here We Go Again - 3rd Auto Forum

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here We Go Again - 3rd Auto Forum

Well, we start anew. This is my third major forum I've joined over the past 20 years.

For 11 years, I was into Porsches - an 83SC and a 2003 964. Tracked both of them at Summit Point with the Porsche Club. Sold both when we moved to a rural home on a lake. <sigh> Pelican Parts Porsche forum was my home. Spent hours reading and writing.

Four years later, we bought a 15-year old Jeep Wrangler. Spent time on the Jeep Forum. There were over 1 million postings on that forum (I'm not kidding). It was like having an interactive technical manual. Just about every problem imaginable, routine and esoteric, were described and solutions found. Yep, gas smell in the cockpit - check canister and roll over check valved atop the gas tank. (who know about those?).

So now, in retired life, can't afford a Porsche, at least not the ones I would consider, I've glummed on to a TT Quad, 2001 with very low mileage. Hope to pick it up Wednesday.

Drove two this past Saturday and . . . . wow! Fast. My wife and I like the styling but I am particularly impressed with mechanicals.

First Question: 2001 low mileage TT 225, less than 50k miles. Is the timing belt change dependent solely on mileage or is age also a factor. My guess is the water pump is strictly mileage but the belt . . . . . . . Whatcha think?

Thank much
Chuck
Old 02-19-2012, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Change it.
Mine snapped on me at 70k miles.
Thankfully, Audi reimbursed the $6k in repairs due to the class action.

$700-$900 up front is cheap insurance compared to the headache of chancing it.
And you have peace of mind for the next 50k miles!
Old 02-20-2012, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lewes2
Well, we start anew. This is my third major forum I've joined over the past 20 years.

For 11 years, I was into Porsches - an 83SC and a 2003 964. Tracked both of them at Summit Point with the Porsche Club. Sold both when we moved to a rural home on a lake. <sigh> Pelican Parts Porsche forum was my home. Spent hours reading and writing.

Four years later, we bought a 15-year old Jeep Wrangler. Spent time on the Jeep Forum. There were over 1 million postings on that forum (I'm not kidding). It was like having an interactive technical manual. Just about every problem imaginable, routine and esoteric, were described and solutions found. Yep, gas smell in the cockpit - check canister and roll over check valved atop the gas tank. (who know about those?).

So now, in retired life, can't afford a Porsche, at least not the ones I would consider, I've glummed on to a TT Quad, 2001 with very low mileage. Hope to pick it up Wednesday.

Drove two this past Saturday and . . . . wow! Fast. My wife and I like the styling but I am particularly impressed with mechanicals.

First Question: 2001 low mileage TT 225, less than 50k miles. Is the timing belt change dependent solely on mileage or is age also a factor. My guess is the water pump is strictly mileage but the belt . . . . . . . Whatcha think?

Thank much
Chuck
If in doubt change it, your car would be scrap if the belt fails and braeks valves and pistons.

Tensioner is really the weak point, not the belt. I changed mine the day after I purchased it.It was about to fail.Replace the thermostat at the same time, otherwise you will end up doing it sooner or later. It's about 30minutes extra work as it's on the side of the block.

Last edited by AudiMick; 02-20-2012 at 09:25 AM.