TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Hey Joel, nice job setting up Ingolstadt U. and then not making your picks for week 1!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2001, 03:45 AM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey Joel, nice job setting up Ingolstadt U. and then not making your picks for week 1!!!

What are you, a busy lawyer or something???
Old 09-02-2001, 05:36 AM
Elder Member

Default I didn't make mine either. The whole 1-17 weighting thing is silly.

I understand that it's in the case of a tiebreaker, but I think it should be an option.

I never had the time to go back and pick the weights.

Sorry guys.
Old 09-02-2001, 06:44 AM
Elder Member

Default Sorry, you could say I was a bit busy.....

My client was indicted yesterday.

So, you all have a head start.....<ul><li><a href="http://inq.philly.com/content/inquirer/2001/09/02/local_news/AC02.htm">Murder Article</a></li></ul>
Old 09-02-2001, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Forum gets a media mention in this case too!

From newspaper article....

"Shahid's lawyer, former prosecutor Joel Mayer, and lawyers for Martinez and Hood could not be reached for comment yesterday. Apparently Mr. Mayer was boning up on facts relative to a certain automobile on Audiworld.com."

Mayer is quoted as saying "The car is an Audi TT and I am preparing for some modifications - as well as writing some TT related songs".

Way to go Joel! :-)
Old 09-02-2001, 08:21 AM
Eighth Member of AudiWorld. God-like, glorious and all-knowing.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Here's a question, Joel...

As a police officer, I had a 100% conviction rate in criminal cases that went to trial. So I felt that I was pretty good in court, and was capable of very comprehensive investigations.

When I decided upon a career change, I strongly considered going to law school. However, while I felt that I'd be well-suited to criminal defense, I also felt that morally I'd have a hard time with this.

For example, let's say that I were to represent a child molester, who I knew or strongly believed was guilty. I would have difficulty helping to set him free, for whatever reason.

As a former prosecutor, have you had any problems with this now that you're on the other side of the aisle?
Old 09-02-2001, 10:56 AM
Elder Member

You saw the un-edited version! I'll try to get the TT in the next press conference.
Old 09-02-2001, 11:14 AM
Elder Member

Default I feel the same way....

I never intended to practice criminal defense and my license plates say "GUIL TT" for a reason.

Since leaving the Prosecutors Office I have been asked to represent about 40-50 clients charged with felonies (Indictable Offenses in NJ) and I have accepted only 4. It's hard for me not to be skeptical and critical of a potential client's story and if I am not reasonably certain of their innocence, I won't represent them.

This Murder case is particularly difficult because it is against my old office. In fact, the lead Homicide Investigator is my best friend from the Office and was my Investigator throughout a 2 month-long Narcotics Kingpin trial that I handled a couple years ago. Niether of us are comfortable with the fact that we're going up against each other - but in the end, we're all professionals and I'm sure there'll be a few good stories and rounds of drinks when this is over.

The flip side was true when I was a Prosecutor. If I believed a defendant to be not guilty I dismissed the charge outright. It didn't happen often but when it did, I dismissed the case because it was simply the right thing to do. I knew that I might have been wrong and that the defendant might have actually been guilty, however, I could more easily live with the consequences of making that mistake than the consequences of convicting an innocent person. Anyway, the guilty ones always give you another shot at them (as I'm sure you knew).

The bottom line is, yes, I have some problems with being on the other side but I believe in those clients that I accept (including Mr. Shahid) and I still believe that I am doing justice. How's that for a lofty proclimation?
Old 09-02-2001, 11:16 AM
Elder Member

Default I didn't like the first weighted pool I did a few years back but now I prefer them...

sorry if it isn't what you expected. Hopefully a few of you will stick it out.....
Old 09-02-2001, 02:43 PM
Elder Member

Default I had no expecations. As far as I am concerned my criticism is with Yahoo...

as I found nothing to explain what the contest was on their home page for this. And until the first poll went active I didn't know about the weighting. I am a complete novice at any fantasy sports. I just never can justify the time to do it right so I don't do it at all. This is a lot less involved than a fantasy league.

As this is all in fun, I have no hard feelings, heck I feel hardly nothing at all.