TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Honda S2000 coming soon

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-1999, 05:43 PM
Todd Templeton

Default Re: Honda S2000 coming soon

Nope, don't think so. I have a modified '98 M3 sedan. It has about 100 more ft/lbs of torque and 50 more hp, so I doubt it!<p>I just stop in every once in a while because I think the TT is awesome. It makes me drool. It's not always about specs. The TT smokes the S2000 in ways Honda engineers can't even imagine, let alone copy....yet that is! It has the "lust" factor to make me sell my M3. It's virtues aren't just in it's specs. An oversized Miata on steriods? No thanks. I am sure someone from that side of that pond will be copying the TT soon enough though. That is what they are best at. The S2000 looks like yet another personality free, Japanese sports car. <p>And as far as Motor Trend or any other auto rag, they are likely to say just about anything in a fit on "new car-itus" like they so often suffer from. "The all new Lincoln Navigator is almost as big as a Boeing 747, and with the 8.0 liter V8, it's almost as fast" Sound familiar?<p>Comparing an S2000 to a F355 shows the flaws in "specs" obsession quite nicely in my opinion. I'll tell you which one 10 out of 10 people would prefer!
Old 06-16-1999, 05:44 PM
Gong Szeto

Default yeah, maybe the performance...

in the TT is indeed edged over by the s2000 - didn't you say the s2000 (loaded) is $38K? well, we'd have to figure out if it's $6K 'more' automobile than the $32K TT...<p>and i agree with you - cars are getting interesting again - looks like we all have much to look forward to.<p>gs.
Old 06-16-1999, 06:08 PM
John Ireland

Default If S2000 is like NSX it will be a very fast "so what". more

When I had an NSX (or was it an NXS?) on the track, it left me limp with boredom. The interior is like any other Honda, it just plain had no style. And for the money...the buyer has every right to expect a little style. The S2000 will be a solid little engine...and I doubt the car will have its owners suffering any of the complaints that are popping up right and left here, but when everything else is said and done, it will be like being married to an ugly hooker. It'll do anything you wantand you'll pay her not to.
Old 06-16-1999, 06:51 PM
Peter Ryckaert

Default Unfortunately you have to rev the crap out of that thing to make power. Not so with the TT -nt

nt
Old 06-16-1999, 07:04 PM
Corto

I used to drive a 97 Honda Prelude SH. Awesome car... Then I saw the S2000. I thought that it was the ultimate car. Fast and dependable like all Hondas. But when I scrutinized it from up close in the LA auto convention ... once again Honda had compromised the design aspect of a hot car.<br>It didn't phase me though I was still planning to get it. <br>And then one day I read about the TT in an auto mag, As soon as I saw the Bauhaus design style - being a designer myself - fell in love with it. Next coupla days, I test drove it and that was it... I now own one. <br>Yes, it's not as fast as the S2000 but that's not all that you expect from a car. TT offers you a beautiful package of style, speed and rigidity.<br>It's an acute design statement. <br> Still, the S2000 has its own merit and I'm sure that it will satisfy every urge of a driver that appreciates a damn good car!
Old 06-16-1999, 09:01 PM
nt

Very true - horsepower of the s2000 is derived from a VTEC 9000rpm redline! Not too good for the town, but would be fun as hell to unwind.
Old 06-17-1999, 06:16 AM
Bob V

Default What's up? S2000 website doesn't even list TT in comparison chart !

http://www.s2000registry.com/
Old 06-17-1999, 08:54 AM
Joe Lucchio

Engine stats for the S2000<p>240hp not 245hp<br>153 ft. lbs. of torque not 175 ft. lbs.<br>Both figures are produced at over 7,000 rpms. <p>CAR magazine did a review of a preproduction model in the latest issue. Other reviews of preproduction models indicated that the car was prone to snap oversteer. Others noted that the car is a bare bones, for the track car. My take is that is looks like a Civic that has had too many "face lifts" from a plastic surgeon. It may be fast, and I am sure it will handle fine, but it doesn't impress me overall. There is more to a car than 0-60 times.
Old 06-17-1999, 08:57 AM
Joe Lucchio

Engine stats for the S2000<p>240hp not 245hp<br>153 ft. lbs. of torque not 175 ft. lbs.<br>Both figures are produced at over 7,000 rpms. <p>CAR magazine did a review of a preproduction model in the latest issue. Other reviews of preproduction models indicated that the car was prone to snap oversteer. Others noted that the car is a bare bones, for the track car. My take is that is looks like a Civic that has had too many "face lifts" from a plastic surgeon. It may be fast, and I am sure it will handle fine, but it doesn't impress me overall. There is more to a car than 0-60 times.
Old 06-17-1999, 09:45 AM
Ed

If you're just interested in 0-60 times, my brother built a MGB with a Chevy 4.3L Vortex and Camaro 6-speed trans. It hands down will blow the doors off the TT, the S2000, Covettes, Porsches, etc. and it only cost him $6000. It's the only car I've every driven that spins its tires in every gear up to 5th! (which is an overdrive gear!)<p>But that's not what this forum is really about, and I still love my TT! : )<p>( () () () )

Quick Reply: Honda S2000 coming soon