TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

how difficult do you think it is to "learn" to use/manipulate the motronic code...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's pretty difficult. There are two problems to overcome. [more]

1) You must be able to disassemble the original binary file to locate all of the engine specific maps. These are the maps you want to edit (2D & 3D). You must know what variable they are, and what they control. This isn't all that difficult to do since there are commercially available tuning suites for $5k-$20k that handle the Bosch ME7 code well enough. You can use a free hex editor to change the code if you like, but you must know the start and stop address location of each map and then figure out how to change the hex values into physical units that actually mean something to you as a "tuner". For example, if you are looking at a spark advance map...you need to see actual physical units like 25 degrees, etc. Not values like 255 and such. Bosch has an unlock file for the maps in the ECUs. It's called a DAMOS file, and it locates the variables in the code and the associated support information (in German). You will never get a DAMOS file, but just know they exist.

2) The more difficult issue is knowing the function and relationships of each map. If you have 10,000 lines of code to dicipher, there might be 200 maps within that code. Of those 200 maps, you may be concerned with four to six specific ones. In other cases, you may want to change ten or more maps (usually when doing tuning for major hardware changes). However, one map may be a lookup table for 30 other maps and such. You don't know what you're doing if you change values in one map without knowing all the other maps and variables that reference that map. You need some insight. Problem is, the Bosch ME7 documentation is about impossible to get but it exists (like the DAMOS file). The Bosch ME7 engineering documents are needed to really know what you are doing. For example, there are thousands of flow charts that illustrate how each map relates to other maps and sensor inputs. Everything from load tables to fuel tables are all tied together. The ME7 manual for VAG gasoline engines is over 2200 pages in length, most of which is comprised of flow charts and all of it is in German.

Once you overcome all of that, you must be able to program an EEPROM or serial program the ECU. Tools are out there that allow you to do that too. Search and you shall find.

Now you see how complex it gets, and ME7 is easy when compared to ME9. Doh!
Old 09-17-2005, 09:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Jason, thanks for all the info...

i guess i'm just frustrated about the fact that tuners refuse to step up and offer a kit for the 225hp motor....

i'll look in to the motronic stuff at some point, if for no other reason than to satisfy my curiosity..
Old 09-18-2005, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I will do what I can to get the APR Stg3+ kit to market. I've driven the prototype: it's fast.
Old 09-18-2005, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default if you/they want another tester sometime down the road, let me know :-)

i'll start saving my pennies now! (and i hope i'll have sufficient funds for the kit when it's released) haha
Old 09-19-2005, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

OK. I'll keep that in mind.