TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

How do you disconnect the odometer ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-1999, 08:28 AM
JMaTT

Default That's the penalty, but for what violation? Disconnecting, or the fraud of misrepresentation? (nt)

nt
Old 08-19-1999, 08:35 AM
mne

Default agreed JM, but unhooking/disabling with the express intent to defraud IS illegal...

and I know about pulling cars with motorhomes. There are even in-line odometer disconnects made just for that purpose, but you wont see them advertised in print (three guesses as to why?)But anyone who pulls a TT behind a motorhome and sees the front-end chip/stone damage that results even with all the latest/greatest protectors for the towed vehicle would be outta their minds. Besides all this talk was initiated by someone who should be asking a little more discreetly than was done. Audi doesnt give two squats about whether the car is towed or driven... they find... the "odo" was disconnected by anyone other than one of their techs and the warranty on said vehicle is history! PERIOD!! I dont know this but I bet theres some kind of "seal" or "proof of tamper" telltale somewhere within the system. <br>
Old 08-19-1999, 08:38 AM
Denny

Default Okay, here's the Code "49 USCS @ 32703"

"32703<br>A person may not:<br>(2) disconnect, reset, alter, or have disconnected, reset, or altered, an odometer of a motor vehicle intending to change the mileage registered by the odometer<br>(3) with intent to defraud, operate a motor vehicle on a street, road, or highway if the person knows that the odometer of the vehicle is disconnected or not operating."<p>Think that's pretty clear. Den
Old 08-19-1999, 08:39 AM
Denny

See 49 USCS @ 32703 above (nt)
Old 08-19-1999, 08:39 AM
mne

Default GAWD I love it when you do that Denny... you're SUCH a plethora of information. Where were you during my divorce?? (nt)

<br>x
Old 08-19-1999, 08:41 AM
Denny

Your lawyer would have charged you $250 for what I just pulled up in 2 minutes -- always nice to have a friend in Regulatory Affairs (nt)
Old 08-19-1999, 08:41 AM
mne

Default wish I'd said that... Thx dumplin' (nt)

<br>x
Old 08-19-1999, 08:44 AM
JMaTT

Default Would you two stop flirting!!!! btw I still note the "intend to defraud" text (nt)

nt
Old 08-19-1999, 08:46 AM
mne

Default she's not JM... the flirting is ALL mine... she just the victim. You start rattlin' off USC codes and I'll flirt with you too (nt)

<br>x
Old 08-19-1999, 08:50 AM
Denny

Default JMaTT (more)

if you are unhooking your odometer, what other intent could there be....ah, officer it was causing my radio to receive alien signals. In reading law, section 2 stands by itself -- not cotingent upon an intent to defraud as stated in 3. Three is there mainly to protect the innocent. This happened to my son, the odometer just kicked out and he drove for about three months oblvious to the fact. He did not have an intent to defraud. Just a boneheaded teenager.

Quick Reply: How do you disconnect the odometer ???