TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

hp, weight, acceleration - I'm not sure I get it.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2002, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hp, weight, acceleration - I'm not sure I get it.

Is acceleration a function of horsepower and weight?
In this case, here is what I don't understand:
- hp can be expressed in lb.ft/s
- weight is in lb
- if acceleration is hp/weight, it should be measured in lb.ft/s/lb = ft/s, and that's a unit of speed, NOT acceleration.

What am I missing?
Old 06-25-2002, 08:35 AM
Elder Member

What is the /s in lb.ft/s? lb/ft is torque.
Old 06-25-2002, 08:50 AM

Default I thought torque was lb*ft, not lb/ft??

and I thought horsepower is weight * distance by time (lb*ft/s). Do I have everything mixed up?
Old 06-25-2002, 08:58 AM

Default i'm not sure acceleration is a direct computation based on power and weight. gearing is a factor...

but i have seen a calculator online that will compute horsepower based on weight and speed at the end of the quarter mile (trap speed i believe it's called). based on your term cancellations, this calculation makes sense to me.
Old 06-25-2002, 09:02 AM
Elder Member

Default wouldn't variables such as gearing, tire surface, track surface, &c. be *real* factors to

consider in any discussion of acceleration? Or, do you mean some sort labratory measurement of acceleration?
Old 06-25-2002, 09:05 AM

Default I've not seen acceleration presented as hp/weight before...

and the units don't work out as far as I can tell.

acceleration = ft/s^2
hp = (ft-lb)/s
Torque = lb-ft
weight = lb

hp/weight = ft/s which, like you said is not acceleration.

While the two may be related in some manner, I'm not sure acceleration can be computed directly from only those two variables.

garreTTk
Old 06-25-2002, 09:16 AM
Elder Member

How can acceleration be directly calculated as HP/weight w/o factoring in gearing?
Old 06-25-2002, 09:18 AM
Elder Member

Default I guess it is all how you write it. I have seen it written many different ways and don't know the

"right" way it should be written! lol

This question is best answered by SmallTT's as he is an automotive engineer.
Old 06-25-2002, 09:28 AM

that's why I asked what I'm missing
Old 06-25-2002, 09:35 AM

Default hp, weight, acceleration - I get it.

It is best to view the situation as though you have frozen the vehicle in time and are looking on the forces acting upon it at a particular instant. Yes, the acceleration is related to both the horsepower and weight of the vehicle. It is easier to grasp the concept if analyzing by instantaneous torque. Newton's second law is Force = mass * acceleration. Therefore, acceleration = Force / mass. Acceleration is in units of ft/(s*s), force in units of pounds-force (lbf) and mass in units of pounds-mass (lbm). The force imparted on the vehicle can be calculated by multiplying the torque produced by the engine at the specified point in time and rpm, multiplied by the gear ratio, final drive ratio, and divide by the tire radius. Torque multiplied by the gear ratio will still be in units of torque (lbf-ft) until you divide by the tire radius (lbf-ft / ft = lbf). If the mass of the vehicle is known, acceleration at the given point can be calculated. This model neglects wind resistance and drive-train losses, which can be accounted for if all forces are added together and used as a net force in the equation above.

I hope this has answered your question and not caused any confusion. In brief: Is acceleration a function of mass and horsepower? sort of. Acceleration is a function of net force and mass. Net force is a function of engine torque. Engine torque is what is used to calculate horsepower.

--Tim--
Oh, yeah, I'm new. Picked up the car on Friday, will post my first question later today. Here is an example of hp/mass.
|
|
V

Quick Reply: hp, weight, acceleration - I'm not sure I get it.